Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you like in a new Smartphone

Rides

What would you like in a new Smartphone

I have an interview next week for a major smartphone manufacturer and have to prepare a presentation.

I’ve worked for BlackBerry, have an iPhone and a Pixel 3, so am pretty up to date with the cam dos and can’t dos with Smartphone technology.

The companies try to deliver what they think the customer wants (it’s called innovation innit) but what do people really want?

I got one would like a common standard between accessories, so an Apple Watch would work with an Android phone... but we know that isn’t going to happen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I think alot of people would like to see the 3.5mm jack back, also a micro-SD card would be nice, you rarely get those anymore.

The trend seems to be going towards ever thinner bezels and ever thinner display edges.

Rides
    Where to start...

1. Shit tons of memory and so I am able to move apps onto a sd card as that's a pain.

2. As an android user a way to have locked folders for our personal info or pictures of our pee pee's (you all do admit it)

3. Less standard apps that come on the phone you'll never use.

4. Something more interesting than a thin rectangular thing, maybe round? Maybe bring back a flip phone with two screens!?!? Or the slide with keypad!? Old but cool af.

5. Features you can personalise more, like colours, alert colours, make the alert led down the sides of the phone so it lights up more, have a rear screen because why not? Hell add a Swiss army functionality to it,.

6. More for me but as a mechanic something that can withstand dust, drops, waterproof, better ways to keep shit out of headphone jack and charging ports as I am constantly cleaning them, if you offered a real heavy duty case that be helpful as 99% are utter shite.

7. Good luck I am sure you'll send it.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Rides
    It to not cost a grand.

Rides
    easier to hold and less slippy.
    smaller smart phones.

Rides
    Some interesting ideas.

I’m not sure the 3.5mm Jack is going to come back. You have USB-C and Lightning ports that do Audio. And you get an adapter

Bezels are a waste of screen estate and users seem to want bigger screens. Remember Apple stole the BlackBerry 10 gestures for home for the iPhone X - it actually makes the experience more fluid

I get the additional apps and the skins aren’t to everyone’s taste, why I chose a pixel 3 with native android... most android manufacturers include skins that aren’t that intuitive.

Personal space. You can get on Android if you use Android Enterprise, but the container solutions are again not so intuitive

Rides
    Ryan, buy a cheaper phone. I’d like a Ferrari not to cost over £100K

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    easier to hold and less slippy.
    smaller smart phones.
    I get this. Girls with small hands can’t one hand text anymore

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I get this. Girls with small hands can’t one hand text anymore

Can't strum one out lmao haha, pardon I had to.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s13spooner View Post

Rides

If you had a hand free, you could have used it to hold your ass on. Just saying

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    If you had a hand free, you could have used it to hold your ass on. Just saying

Rides
    Ok. Had jokes...

Please, some sensible answers. What would you really like?

Rides
    Serious notes.

. Being able to personalise it more
    . Tough for work places like proper covers for ports and fall damage protection
    . Good phone speaker both for music and calls
    . Diffrent styling from the norm like more flashy bits
    . Limited editions?

Rides
    I just had to renew my phone cos my sammy 8 died on me last week, reluctantly went to a 10+ 5g because .... well its one of the best.

So what do i want in a phone?

A large screen, i use mine a lot for mobile web so its got to be on a decent sized screen but not a tablet.
    Good processing power - i do not want to wait on a computer doing something so its got to shift.
    Storage capacity, nothing stupid like 2Gig or something as i simply dont think its needed - large volumes of data should be in the cloud where it is "safe"... that said pony capacity is also not good so a decent in-between like 256 and 512 options.
    Excellent camera, another thing i use my device a lot for is pictures. I dont want to carry another camera for 95% of the shots i take so its vital the phone has a great camera system. Multiple lenses and ToF sensors plus optical zoom which is a killer.

Finally the 2 biggies.
    Its got to be an established OS that is updated frequently and with yearly optimizations and more importantly added facilities. It has to be secure as well.
    And... with the OS comes the application store. This is the kicker and where MS and Blackcherry fail massivly.

You want to do well in the phone space you need a big fully fledged and working application store, i will not buy into a phone platform that has 2 dozen apps and thats it. Same reason i junked the windows phones we were getting in, for a start (at the time) there was no jabber client for them. but there is an Android and IOS one.

So if Brownberry wants to sell devices then it really needs to go Android.

Rides
    Serious notes.

. Being able to personalise it more
    . Tough for work places like proper covers for ports and fall damage protection
    . Good phone speaker both for music and calls
    . Diffrent styling from the norm like more flashy bits
    . Limited editions?

How much are you willing to pay for that? Cost, Size? Battery life?

Phones are slimline because that is what people want. Batteries take up most of the space because people want to use them for more than a day. And they want big screens. There is not much room inside a smartphone

Rides
    A humanitarian supply chain that doesn't involve Foxconn
    An end to planned obsolescence, designed to be durable & repairable
    Standards for device sizes and connectors so accessories outlast a single device and can be designed properly (we've all seen what happens in cars)
    Better battery life
    Ability to dock and double up as a PC (proper monitor, proper keyboard & mouse, proper desktop OS)
    Better antanea (looking at you, iPhone)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I just had to renew my phone cos my sammy 8 died on me last week, reluctantly went to a 10+ 5g because .... well its one of the best.

So what do i want in a phone?

A large screen, i use mine a lot for mobile web so its got to be on a decent sized screen but not a tablet.
    Good processing power - i do not want to wait on a computer doing something so its got to shift.
    Storage capacity, nothing stupid like 2Gig or something as i simply dont think its needed - large volumes of data should be in the cloud where it is "safe"... that said pony capacity is also not good so a decent in-between like 256 and 512 options.
    Excellent camera, another thing i use my device a lot for is pictures. I dont want to carry another camera for 95% of the shots i take so its vital the phone has a great camera system. Multiple lenses and ToF sensors plus optical zoom which is a killer.

Finally the 2 biggies.
    Its got to be an established OS that is updated frequently and with yearly optimizations and more importantly added facilities. It has to be secure as well.
    And... with the OS comes the application store. This is the kicker and where MS and Blackcherry fail massivly.

You want to do well in the phone space you need a big fully fledged and working application store, i will not buy into a phone platform that has 2 dozen apps and thats it. Same reason i junked the windows phones we were getting in, for a start (at the time) there was no jabber client for them. but there is an Android and IOS one.

So if Brownberry wants to sell devices then it really needs to go Android.
    They did, years ago and also had a slider physical keyboard.

I don’t work for them btw... I did and they were a great company to work for except the upper management didn’t listen... but have an interview next week with a major vendor

Rides
    The common standards thing is annoying because we all know, for certain, that an apple watch could work on an android handset and vice versa without any issues.
    The problem is the companies.

I really really dislike the walled garden approach Apple takes, its why i will not buy or recomend any of there overpriced junk. Open standards, to a point, are much more flexible and give the end user more options.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    The common standards thing is annoying because we all know, for certain, that an apple watch could work on an android handset and vice versa without any issues.
    The problem is the companies.

I really really dislike the walled garden approach Apple takes, its why i will not buy or recomend any of there overpriced junk. Open standards, to a point, are much more flexible and give the end user more options.
    I get the walled garden, but it has been good for their share holders which is what a corporate is about. But don’t call them overpriced junk. They are actually good phones.

And if you don’t like some of the Samsung stuff blame the Brits I forget we are so much better than everyone else these days... cough Brexit