Thread: Replacing lower rad support, welding.

Rides

Replacing lower rad support, welding.

I'm in the process of changing my lower rad support for a new OEM one after a hit. I'm only using the middle section and one of the braces since the rest is ok, and changing the entire thing requires taking the light assembly out.

That means spot weld drilling. And since I have absolutely no clue about welding I was wondering if there is any preferred method the re-weld the thing. Is filling the drill holes preferable to weld the metal on the sides? How about the wholes that go through both pieces?

Is doing small weld pools to get something similar to OEM spot welds easy enough for me or should I really get a pro to come to the garage?

Any advice on this is welcome. Thanks!

Rides
    you can get drill bits made for spot welds,search ebay poss best option
    ,and weld/fill the drilled holes is perfect and better/stronger than the spots you drilled out
    search on ebay and listings are for hole saws 3/8ths or 5/16ths when the nissan spots are pretty small approx 6 to 8mm
    a normal decent drill 6mm (maybe 8mm) bit will work
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 02-01-2020 at 13:11.

Rides
    Oh yeah drilling isn't a problem, I used 8mm bit, they do wear out super quick though. I'll have to buy like 3 more. I haven't found any spot weld drill bit near where I live but the 8mm is good enough.

My doubts are more about the welding process. You think I could use one of those cheap stick welders? Or is mig/tig recommended for this situation?