Thread: Help/advice SR20DE (non turbo) performance upgrades or essential service/maintenance

Rides

Help/advice SR20DE (non turbo) performance upgrades or essential service/maintenance

Had my 1998 sil80 converted 180sx on the road for just over 2 months now...coming in to the nastier weather she will do less miles and I'm getting the urge to tinker more...
    The plan with this car is to eventually do an RB swap so i'm not looking for a CA/SR/RB argument...just if there is anything I may want to do to have a little more fun or get it running slightly better before the swap becomes a reality. I've struggled to find much info on the non turbo other than it's pretty useless tuning wise, understandably...that being said it is bone stock so any little upgrades (air/fuel/oil filter, injectors, intake, ecu even ?) I would happily entertain.

I am considering the possibility of swapping a turbo SR into the car temporarily should I find a cheap set up...no dice so far.
    From my understanding dropping a turbo set up in and pulling my non turbo shouldn't involve too much work other than the obvious parts needed

Would like to hear off non turbo owners or anyone with useful info regarding:
    a) What, if any, slight upgrades it may be worth making to a stock DE...intake, injectors etc
    b) Essential maintenance/servicing differences the DE needs vs the DET
    c) If people think the SR turbo swap is something it would be worth doing in the meantime, with the end goal being an RB
    d) Anyone who has swapped from a non turbo to turbo or any RB swap guys

Much appreciated folks
    F.N.G

Rides
    How much money do you have?

Throwing tuning parts at an engine you fully intend to replace it a waste of time and money.
    A decent SR20DET engine package is not cheap either, probably a couple of grand for everything you'll need.

The best option is leave everything alone and just put the money to one side for the RB swap, because that will chew through cash like no tomorrow.

If you do want to spend money put it into the chassis, suspension parts, brakes, hubs, wheels, etc etc etc.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Could always bang a turbo on the de engine. Not sure how it would respond but sure it gets done in other countries.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    DE's respond well to turbo's. Think it needed around 7-10psi out of the T28 to get to about 275hp?
    But like others have said, it's pretty pointless if it's a temporary engine..
    I'd rather upgrade the rest around the engine than even spending a dime on a a temp, specially a DE

Rides
    My 180 came with an SR20DE to begin with - my only experience is the drive back and pootling around for a while - the 3" turbo style drainpipe exhaust that had been previously put on it must have actually dropped the power. it was slower than the ex-wife's 1.6 civic on a motorway run and that was only 130hp-ish.

my own view on the SR20DE - don't bother spending any money on it, just save it for whatever you want to do.

I have done the same - popped an RB in, mine is a 25 but with a 26 crank and twin turbos.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    You could always buy a load of stuff that you could use to turbo the SR20DE for a bit of fun which would still be usefull come RB time.

Standalone ECU, set of 6 injectors (use 4 on the SR), big turbo, intercooler, exhaust (cat back), fuel pump, etc.

You could end up with a 300+hp SR20DE+T with a load of parts you'd need anyway for the RB swap.

Only thing you'd need that wouldn't transfer over would be a clutch

Rides
    As long as you go for an RB25, the RB20 and RB26 use different injectors.