Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on planned mods

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    The gtx2867r is a well proven turbo for sure What clutch have you got fitted? with that turbo and injector combo you could have a very responsive 370bhp + car.
    Previous owner forgot what the guy he bought it from had put in, but I believe its just some 6-puck clutch with the stock pressure plate. Counting on it holding up that power just fine.

Think the plan then will be get the intercooler mounted and fit some gauges. Then will have to use next season to just save up money for an ECU and the gtx turbo, unless one hopefully pops up 2nd hand for a decent deal.

Rides
    Sorry to hear (but not at all surprised) that you're not happy with Japspeed. I don't understand why people buy from them, price must be their only advantage.

Don't worry about the Power FC either. Yes they're not the most technologically capable ECU's on the market and they're not as feature rich as Link, Syvecs or the lie, but they are also not crap and they're very well understood.

I would always pick your tuner and then consider your ECU around the tuner. Better a good ECU and a great tuner than an amazing ECU and an average tuner.

That said, have you considered changing your injector choice to a Nismo 740 cc and simply changing your management for a Horsham Developments 3a chip? It would be considerably cheaper than a Power FC, installation and mapping and they're very well proven.

Good news on going for a GTX, it's a much better turbo range.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Hdev don’t do a chip for the gtx turbo do they?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Sorry to hear (but not at all surprised) that you're not happy with Japspeed. I don't understand why people buy from them, price must be their only advantage.

Don't worry about the Power FC either. Yes they're not the most technologically capable ECU's on the market and they're not as feature rich as Link, Syvecs or the lie, but they are also not crap and they're very well understood.

I would always pick your tuner and then consider your ECU around the tuner. Better a good ECU and a great tuner than an amazing ECU and an average tuner.

That said, have you considered changing your injector choice to a Nismo 740 cc and simply changing your management for a Horsham Developments 3a chip? It would be considerably cheaper than a Power FC, installation and mapping and they're very well proven.

Good news on going for a GTX, it's a much better turbo range.
    Price and availability did it for me with Japspeed, but suprisingly still took 3 weeks to get the damn part... Here in Norway it apparently gets ordered from England, shipped to Sweden distributor, then to the Norwegian distributor till it finally got sent to me...

Im going to give their intercooler kit a chance, but if anythings off with that I will return it.

PowerFC decision was based on that it will get my car mapped for a budget friendly price. But if Im saving up for a better turbo, might as well save up for a better ECU too then.

Found a very reputable tuner and he is a Link distributor, but has mapped everything from megasquirt to PowerFC too, so Im not worried with whatever I go for. That being said though, his prices for Link G4+ Plugin were a bit high, so Im either going to go for MaxxEcu that I will take a trip to sweden and buy, or buy Link cheaper from another country. Ecumaster is also an option.

Chip is not an option as the setup is probably going to be changed more than once, so its nice to have the adjustability. Car also get driven from nice days in February till November, so I do not want to have any problems with a chip thats not tuned for different enviroments.

I still think GT28RS would be a very good turbo for the goal Im going for and for the price can you really beat it? But with so many saying I should go for the GTX, do I really have a choice? :P
    Anyone know 2nd hand prices on the GTX2867R?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    You can get close to 300bhp on the standard turbo, have you thought about upgrading the injectors, intercooler etc and then seeing what your mapper can do with the stock set up. This way you save all the money on the turbo for now and can upgrade further down the line when you get used/bored of the new power level.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Honestly you will be totally fine with the PowerFC, it'll work absoultely perfectly for the level of tune you're after.

Rides
    As above, if a chip is out of the question then PFC is the way forward. You don't need a Link. No Chris you're right now I think about it.

As you seem very set on a GT28RS, I would like to take this moment to point out I have in my garage that I will be selling from a project car I bought a few months ago. Convenient.

Rides
    You can get close to 300bhp on the standard turbo, have you thought about upgrading the injectors, intercooler etc and then seeing what your mapper can do with the stock set up. This way you save all the money on the turbo for now and can upgrade further down the line when you get used/bored of the new power level.
    Power isnt the priority really as much as better response is. So a ball bearing turbo is an upgrade I want to do no matter which turbo. £300 for a used GT28R or RS isnt a problem for me either, but a GTX new for £1,2k is along with an ecu at £1,1k thats a huge difference really. I think too many people are thinking about what they would love to do on their car and dont really understand what my goal with the car is.
    Last edited by konlar; 20-09-2019 at 10:41.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    As above, if a chip is out of the question then PFC is the way forward. You don't need a Link. No Chris you're right now I think about it.

As you seem very set on a GT28RS, I would like to take this moment to point out I have in my garage that I will be selling from a project car I bought a few months ago. Convenient.
    What would you like for it and is it worth it with shipping to Norway? Just want to point out that they are easily available here in my country, so not sure it would be worth it to sell to me sadly. But appriciate the offer.

Rides
    I think people understand bud, but you are jumping around a lot.

If you want 300 hp or thereabouts, don't change your turbo.

If you want 350 or thereabouts, use a power FC and a bigger turbo, but accept that a GT28RS is functional but old. Better a GT2871, plenty second hand, or ideally a GTX.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    You may be right, the problem is a lot of us have gone through various setups and try to save people money by not following the same route

Rides
    You may be right, the problem is a lot of us have gone through various setups and try to save people money by not following the same route
    Yeah totally get that, so many people wouldnt recommend a better turbo for nothing. Sadly the GTX turbos are very hard to find here 2nd hand, so its a huge step up in terms of price and Im willing to take it, but will just take some more time saving up.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    They don't come up for sale too often over here either really from what I’ve seen. At the end of the day it’s your car and budget mate

Rides
    Just my 2 cents and what I did in a similar boat....

I went down the H-dev staged route (3a with 2871r), and have been running it for nearly 10 years. Its proven, reliable and not that expensive... Plus coupled with an auto diff I can't complain about response and plenty quick enough for the road and fun on track!

I know you said about the enviroment's (and ours aren't as extreme as yours), but I had my standard ecu with a chip custom mapped by H-dev, I'm sure you could find someone to do the same in Norway for the optimum match to your setup. Which would save you the cost of the ECU for now....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    Just my 2 cents and what I did in a similar boat....

I went down the H-dev staged route (3a with 2871r), and have been running it for nearly 10 years. Its proven, reliable and not that expensive... Plus coupled with an auto diff I can't complain about response and plenty quick enough for the road and fun on track!

I know you said about the enviroment's (and ours aren't as extreme as yours), but I had my standard ecu with a chip custom mapped by H-dev, I'm sure you could find someone to do the same in Norway for the optimum match to your setup. Which would save you the cost of the ECU for now....
    Might as well go with Nistune then, but Apexi is cheaper used. Only thing is Nistune also has boost control without needing a seperate boost controller. Will need a wideband kit with both those though, but not with a Maxxecu or similar. So im actually leaning more and more towards a proper ecu even if I decide to go with a Gt turbo first.

Rides
    PowerFC with Commander - £300

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-S1...YAAOSw6nZdhBnA

Job done

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by konlar View Post
    Is spark a problem already at that power level? I see many people still running stock coil packs at that level, so Im not too worried about it really.
    Ignition will be perfectly fine on standard coil packs at that level. Save your money. I've been running 311 bhp for the last 9 years - daily drive, track days, trips across Europe. Perfectly solid.

Do some research on the exhaust manifold. I chose to stay with the standard one as it only starts to become restrictive at over 300bhp. So there was no point for me in wasting money on a shiny one. Also at my power level fitting one can rob low end torque which I didn't want. But if you are looking at 350bhp then it probably makes sense...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Ignition will be perfectly fine on standard coil packs at that level. Save your money. I've been running 311 bhp for the last 9 years - daily drive, track days, trips across Europe. Perfectly solid.

Do some research on the exhaust manifold. I chose to stay with the standard one as it only starts to become restrictive at over 300bhp. So there was no point for me in wasting money on a shiny one. Also at my power level fitting one can rob low end torque which I didn't want. But if you are looking at 350bhp then it probably makes sense...
    Cheers for your input. As far as with the manifold, I have already purchased that. The only thing I have not yet purchased is an ecu, turbo & intercooler. I got a good deal on the manifold and its proven to help low to mid torque while not losing any top end power, so definitely a nice upgrade along with the change in sound

Rides
    Think Japspeed have stopped their high fitting intercoolers. They are not listed anymore i dont think

Rides
    Thank god. They were dog shite. If you want an off the shelf HMIC go to Part Shop Max.