Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on planned mods

Rides

Opinions on planned mods

Hi looking for some opinions on some mods I plan to get done on the car this winter and if I am missing something important.
    Looking for a responsive turbo setup and the car will mainly be used on the street with the ability to take it on track if I desire. Power goal 300-350whp.

(* means I have not aqquired the part yet.) Updated 31.12.19
    MaxxEcu Street Plugin Extra*
    Kinugawa GTX2860R*
    PSM High Mount Intercooler Kit
    Japspeed Elbow
    Apexi Power Intake
    Tomei Expreme Ti Catback
    Tomei Expreme Manifold
    Greddy Downpipe
    Decat
    Circuit Sports 720CC injectors
    Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
    6-puck clutch
    NGK BKR7E 0,6mm spark plugs

Oil temp & pressure gauges*
    That way I can keep an eye on if I would need an oil cooler on a later date.
    Also keeping stock rad w/ shroud for now, but will also see if that will need an upgrade later on.
    Brakes so far feel good, but thats another item I will see if need upgrading. I will bleed the current fluid with Motul RBF600 for now at least, then I can still do pads & braided lines if I need to later.
    Car already lowered on coilovers with proper Federal semislicks. Nismo engine mounts & gearbox mount etc.

Last edited by konlar; 31-12-2019 at 13:11. Reason: Updated with new mods planned

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The gt28rs will be at the top of its power level there I’d imagine, a newer Garret turbo may prove to flow better and be as responsive if not better.
    The power fc is an old ecu now but is available at a reasonable price so depends on budget.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I'd advise for an R8 coil pack conversion too. Let me know if you're interested, i have just one set at the moment, brand new.

Rides
    Chosen both the turbo and ECU as they are budget friendly options, very aware there are better options out there. But for example if someone would recommend Nistune over pfc, that would be interesting to hear why. Or if there are other turbo options within the same price that might be a better fit. I was originally debating just going with the GT28r first. Power isnt as big of a priority as having a very responsive quick spooling setup.

Also forgot to add that if I go with the maf variant of Power FC, I will get a z32 maf, but waiting to see if a D-Jetro pops up for sale first.

Rides
    Is spark a problem already at that power level? I see many people still running stock coil packs at that level, so Im not too worried about it really.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by konlar View Post
    Is spark a problem already at that power level? I see many people still running stock coil packs at that level, so Im not too worried about it really.
    Spark isn't a 'problem' at that level. Just as driving around with 20 yr old tires aren't a 'problem'. But there certainly are advancements going to a more modern ignition system. You can read about it all over the net. I don't want to sound like a marketer. Do some research of your own.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by speedingmofa View Post
    Spark isn't a 'problem' at that level. Just as driving around with 20 yr old tires aren't a 'problem'. But there certainly are advancements going to a more modern ignition system. You can read about it all over the net. I don't want to sound like a marketer. Do some research of your own.
    Totally get what you are saying.
    Trying to keep this budget friendly at first though, there are many things that could be upgraded just because for the sake of knowing I will never have an issue with it.
    Next step up from this power level is a big one though, so will probably stick with this setup until something goes wrong.

Rides
    If I may, don't get a GT28RS. I have one in my garage and they are fun, but they are old. If you can afford it, go for a small frame GTX series, or even a BW EFR. They have fantastic reviews.

Don't change your exhaust manifold for that power either. And get a PSM Flex Cobra downpipe.

Don't buy anything from Japspeed.

Rides
    Havent found any GTX Turbos for sale 2nd hand, but I will keep a look out. GT28R and RS is preferable as I can get them 2nd hand from £300.
    Will I be able to take advantage of the newer turbos though? Once you start pushing over 350whp wouldnt it be preferred to get a built head and uprated headgasket to take advantage of the more effecient turbo?

Just recently got the Japspeed Elbow and mounted it. Can agree with it being a sub-par part. Not a true 3" and with the Tomei Manifold it hits the gearbox and makes an annoying rattle while accelerating.. Welds are nothing to brag about either and didnt come with new hardware...
    I originally wanted a tomei elbow to keep the Tomei theme going, but they have discontinued their elbow due to renewing it.. Couldnt find it anywhere with reasonable price & shipping cost. Have had a look at the PSM Downpipe before, seems like a really nice piece of kit. But since I already have a Greddy Trust 3" downpipe from before and now an upgraded elbow, it doesnt make sense to switch them out. But if Tomei comes out with their new elbow soon, I will go for that.

Japspeed's intercooler kit shouldnt be as bad though I would assume? Next high mount kit is PSM, but almost double the price once its delivered on my door step.
    Some more thoughts on Japspeed would be appriciated.

Rides
    Get a GTX turbo instead of the gt28rs, it's a 20+ year old design and times have moved on since then. For you're power requirements, I'd guess a GTX2863R or GTX2867R would suit your needs. I bought one of these for mine
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192813169183
    I plan to port and polish the the wastegate a little just to reduce the risk of boost creep. Apart from that they are pretty good quality.

The Tomei Expreme turbo outlet/elbow is a much better part in every way than Japspeed.

Replace the rear subframe and diff bushes for solid or polyurethane.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    TBH I would look at a LINK Ecu as it will mean you can connect it to a tablet computer and not need any gauges. it will also act as a boost controller.

id also recommended getting a better turbo than a t28rs, the BorgWarner 6758 will do what you want. or the gt2867 garrett or a holset hx30

Rides
    Would still need AFR sensor & controller with the Link ECU along with Oil temp. But definitely had the same thought that I wouldnt have to get as many gauges, more safety features, no need for a boost controller, bee'r, easier to swap maps and wire up switches etc.
    However got quoted £1,3k for one, so with a pfc, boost controller and the gauges I need im not even close to that number. So im thinking for step one is just to get me to the power goal I need, then I can worry later about the fancy gadgets I want.

A better turbo is a reacurring theme here I see though. I do not want anything thats too big and will give me more lag than a GT28RS. Also keeping it a simple bolt-on without any modifications is preferred, so guess im sticking with the Garrett series.
    Just want to emphasize that im not looking for big power, just a more responsive setup but preferably the turbo does not die off near the rev limiter either. Checking out the GTX series turbos, most of them are the same spool as the GT28RS, but has a better top end, not sure if thats good enough for me to put in the extra money.

Another thought Im having right now though is to just get an intercooler and run with that while saving up for a Link/Better ecu and a better turbo.

A rear end refresh is in the plans along with a 1.5way diff as the stock LSD is garbage!

Rides
    Thoughts on the GT2871R with a .64 exhaust housing then?

Rides
    Unless you're getting an amazing deal on the Expreme Ti exhaust system I'd go for something cheaper and put the difference into the turbo.

Great looking car BTW

Rides
    Already have that, and did infact get an amazing deal at £350 for it and only having been used one summer since new

Thanks dude!

Rides
    All of the turbos suggested will spoil faster than a GT28RS

Rides
    28rs was not the choice 10 years ago, it still isnt today.
    Go bigger puffer if you can, you do not want to be hitting limits on your hairdryer.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    All of the turbos suggested will spoil faster than a GT28RS
    Trying to find videoes or posts with dyno graphs to back it up though and its very hard...

Rides
    Done some more research and more sold on the GTX2867R. Full boost by 3000rpm on a stock internal SR20DET running 1.3 bar. Granted he had a built head, but definitely seems like a more futureproof turbo as I would probably go with a built head down the road anyways.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The gtx2867r is a well proven turbo for sure What clutch have you got fitted? with that turbo and injector combo you could have a very responsive 370bhp + car.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue