Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aidan's S15 Spec R

Rides
    Been a while since I’ve last posted an update but since we’re on lockdown nows the best time to update what’s been going in with the car, it will be a long one.

So ill start by going through what’s I’ve been doing to it and what’s since happened to it, some good things and some annoying things but I guess that’s the fun part about dailying an S15, so first thing is before the last update, when I got the car a few bulbs in the cluster were blown so I though with them not being very bright from factory I thought it would be a good idea to get one led bulbs for the cluster of eBay and put them in instead of a normal bulb, so bought a set of eBay for around £20 I think from Auz, a week later they came so when I got home I took the cluster out and went to install them, at first they wouldn’t work, they are polarised but even after turning them around they wouldn’t work, figured out the contacts needed bending to have a good connection, after messing about with them for at least an hour I managed to get nearly all of them working bar 1 which was the bulb for the speed 0-80, after fiddling about I managed to get it working then all of a sudden the cluster started smoking so I quickly turned the ignition off and pulled the cluster out, it only went and shorted a trace wire on the circuit board so now the speed bulb would not even light up, so I took all the LEDs out and put some bulbs in I had from an S13 cluster. I had to drive about for about 2 months without being able to see what speed I was doing. Just before Christmas I managed to find a used one from a guy in Malaysia for about £180 posted which is money I was gonna spend on some rear spats but they will have to wait,

If anyone is tempted to buy an LED conversion kit for the cluster then DONT!! Its a bad idea

Next thing that happened was my power windows and power door locks stopped working, kinda knew it was gonna be the wiring loom in the wheel arch that had been partially rubbed through when I first lowered the car, so I read up on the S15 electrics manual and found which wires were for the power windows and then carried out voltage drop testes to check where there was a short circuit, so I started by checked all relevant fuses, all fuses okay then I started at the battery and had 14v (battery charger on) then went to the consumer which was the power window switch there was 0 volts at the white and black wire, so I followed the wiring diagram back to the power window relay, checked pin 3, 0 volts also removed the relay and tested, relay was working perfect. Checked power to pin 1 which was getting 12 volts and earth connection was good so I followed the diagram back and then checked power to the circuit breaker, again 0 volts, followed diagram back and check voltage to E101 to M10 wiring harness connector (big block connecter in drivers footwell which engine loom connect to interior loom) again 0 volts, I had 14v at the engine bay fuses so the break in the wire is somewhere between the engine fuse box and E101 so that meant the wiring loom had the come out.

So after a lot of F***ing about trying to get the wiring loom out the interior due to a previous owner installing something like an alarm system idk but the wiring under there was a complete mess and needs to be sorted out one day, I plan on removing the whole dash and sorting it out then but that will be a job when ive got a second car but for now I got the loom out and checked the wiring. Found multiple broken or damaged wires so I spent a few hours cutting and soldering the broken or damaged wires back and the power window wire was broken along with a big white wire which after checked the wiring diagrams still cannot find what its for, does anyone know? Fixed all the wires the taped up and tucked as far into the wheel well ass possible to stop the tire from catching it again, another problem was water ingress into the drivers footwell due to the wiring loom seal being damaged, I know you can’t buy these separately so I tried to make do and cover it with some sticky backed aluminium, it worked for a while but ended up coming off so what have people done to stop water ingress through this seal? Ive ended up having to remove the carpet due to the water ingress and I don’t want to put it back in until the problem is fixed.

Christmas came and got a new Apexi air filter of the Mrs, sounds mint with the turbo flutter so much louder than stock!

My Work T7Rs finally came from driftworks after about 1 and a half months of waiting, first one I pulled out the box had a paint defect which is annoying, Driftworks were very helpful though and arranged collection of the wheel at no cost of mine and ordered a new wheel from Japan but 2 months later I’m still waiting for the single wheel back so its been 5 months since I bought them and I still don’t all the wheels, annoying as I want them on now but oh well. I did do a test fit of the wheels just to see how the would look and fit, the specs are 18” 9.5J ET12, I wanted a more conceived wheel and a low offset, the wheels fit fine with no spacers front and rear but you can see how much they poke out but that’s the look I want, I’m gonna get 225/35/18 tyres for them and see if any more arch rolling the get them to fit.

Rides
    With the car still having the stock intercooler I had my suspicions it had a boost leak, so I got the boost leak tested from work and put it on the car and checked for any leaks, a loud hissing noise was coming from the stock intercooler where its been damaged in the past. So a new intercooler was needed, looked on eBay I was gonna get a japspeed one but looking around there was a non make FMIC for about £60 cheaper and looked exactly the same so I bought that one instead and I wanted a black one with black piped as I think it looks much cleaner than chrome piping.

The FMIC arrived and I fitted it the following Saturday and it wasn’t the easiest of jobs due to the slight damage on the chassis, I had to modify some brackets to fit, relocate the nismo horns, the battery tray is corroded but not too bad but I do plan on tubbing the car in the future so atm its not a massive issue but I did clean the area and put some Krust on the areas with corrosion to slow it down. The only issue with the eBay special FMIC is the pipe that connects to the intake manifold the vacuum pipe to the manifold is in a daft position which caused the fan to hit it so I had to do a lot of messing about to try and make it all fit without the fan hitting the pipe, and I was running out of time at work so I had to rush some of it. But when fitted it was great and no problems with the FMIC at all, good quality for the price I would reccomend if you’re on a budget and can’t afford expensive FMIC. After fitted a week later I checked for any boost leaks again, slights leaks from some couplings but after tightening them no more leaks!

One day in work I couldn’t park in the staff car park due to my fob not working so I parked in work near the valet bay, couple hours later I come out and find some had scratched my bonnet, after checking the cameras I could see the valeter pull the hose for the jet wash over my bonnet to clean another car, I was fuming at the time but knew it would get fixed because it was on camera, a few weeks later it was in the body shop and the fixed the scratches and straightened the bonnet out at the same time as you can see in previous pics it was bent on the drives side from, got the car back a week later and it looked like a normal S15 now I was over the moon about it, the repairs ended up costing the halting company £480 but it was a happy accident if the valeter didn’t scratch the bonnet it would of never of gotten straightened out.

After the repairs

I had the car aligned in January due to fitting a new steering arm and track rid end, the guy the underside was really clean but advised I should cavity wax all the box sections and the chassis legs so I bought some of eBay with a spay gun and cavity waxed the whole underside of the car, in the chassis rails, subframe, so underbody sections I couldn’t get with underseal and inside of the car and boot aswell.

I know some might give me hate for this but since I was a kid ive always wanted neons on a car, not just any car it had to be a jap car and an S15 for me is the perfect car for it. I bought a kit of eBay for £14 and fitted them, didn’t take too long juts outing the led strips and routing all the wiring, I was originally gonna go through the drivers wheel arch into the interior but I ended up not having enough wiring to do that so I went up through the gearbox tunnel and into the inside from there which was actually a better idea, I wired the live and earth to the cigarette lighter and left the control box under the heater controls and had the receiver for the remote just sticking out the side of the dash near my left leg so its almost hidden, they are multicoloured and have about 10 colours and they doo look mint at night, I don’t always have them on due to the police but when I want them on its just one press on the remote from inside the car and they’re on, press one button and they’re off again.

Now with the past few weeks ive been off work due to Corona ive had some time to order some parts and fix a couple things on the car, so over the past month the cars didn’t want to boost properly, when it did it used to jump like it had fuel starvation under boost for a split second, so I thought I would’ve been the fuel pump not being good enough since installing a FMIC so I bought a Walbro 255 and installed it, dead easy to install would just suggest don’t filling your car up a few days before you do it like me
    After installed I took it for a test drive to see if fixed the boost problem, nope was still jumping on boost so did a google search read a few posts, some suggested ignition fuel problems, some said it may have a boost leak so knowing I had to rush the FMIC install o decided to start the, remove the piping and refit so there would be 0 boost leaks, after fiddling about for abit I realised I had one of the pipes the wrong way the intercooler 90 degree bend pipe to intake side, after filliping the pipe and refitting I realised why it was the wrong way, the vacuum pipe was hitting the fan again tried to twist the pipe and cable tie the vacuum pipe out the way but it would still catch on the fan after bit of thinking I just decided to remove the fan and cut the ends on the blades down so the fan wouldn’t then hit the pipe, I don’t know why I didn’t think of doing that when I did the install in the first place, so after just trimming the ends of the fan I refitted it and it didn’t hit the vacuum pipe and there would be no potential boost leaks from any couplings. I also noticed a hole in the boost pressure line from the actuator? mounted on the passenger side turret which goes into the boost pipe near the manifold, I had been rubbing on something so I cut the pipe and had a connector the piece the two sides together then went on a test drive low and behold that fixed the posting problem, while on test drive I removed the boost pressure line from the actuator to see if that hole in the pipe was the cause of the issue and when removed it started jumping on boost again so that was the cause of the issue not a boost leak from the FMIC piping.

Another thing I did while on lockdown was fit a set of rally style washer jets on the wipers due to the standard washer jets on the bonnet being so poor they don’t even reach the windscreen and end up just covering the bonnet instead, was an easy install just remove all the water jet pipes from the underside of the bonnet and cut it near the vin plate then install the water jets on the wiper arm and route the piping down the arm and into the scuttle though the hole where the wiper arm is mounted. On the passenger side there is a cut out bug enough the fit the pipe but on the drivers side I did have to remove the scuttle and just cut out a hole big enough to fit the piping through, the i just connected the both with a T piece then a one way valve so there is always water in the pipes ready for when you need.

Last thing I finally bought two vents for the inside the fill the holes, ended up getting two of a 350z, theyre the exact same ones apart from the rings are more silver than grey on the ones on the S15, I just ended up putting the two from the drivers and passenger side in the middle and the two of the 350z on the sides. Now just need to get a cover where the sat nav used to be.

This is now how the cars looks

Rides
    looking good man!

do you have a link for washer jets?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    looking good man!

do you have a link for washer jets?
    Cheers mate,
    They’re worth it for the price and easy to install
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F201955257711

Rides
    thanks dude

Rides
    Your "rally style" washers are factory fit equipment on Peugeot 405s

Your car looks lovely.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Your "rally style" washers are factory fit equipment on Peugeot 405s

Your car looks lovely.
    haha i know mate i used to work at Citroen and they're standard on the C4 Cactus thats probs the only reason i got them i knew how much better they, and cheer dude i appreciate it!