Thread: Tracing electrical leak

Rides

Tracing electrical leak

Battery goes flat when parked up over the course of two days unless disconnected.

I thought it was the old battery had gone flat standing parked up for the last 18 months while awaiting a new gearbox so I invested in a new battery. Nope, no joy, brand new battery flat in two days again

I guess I must have a drain to earth somewhere even when turned off. Possibly alarm drain ? But it hasn't ever missed a beat in the last 27 years...

Any help as to how to check the alarm drain load would be useful and how much is acceptable / within normal limits ?

If its not the alarm then a "how to" as to how to try and trace the leak would be appreciated. Doesn't help that my trusty old multimeter is on the blink. Time for a new one I think.

Couldn't find a troubleshooting / battery drain guide in the service manual, unless I am being thick and have missed it.

Cheers all

Rides
    It's pretty much the same procedure for most cars.

Hook the multimeter up and start yanking fuses out, when you see the current drop you've found the system thats causing trouble.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Hook the multimeter up....
    Hook it up to.. inbetween battery negative terminal and earth ? Or to the positive terminal to positive lead ?

Rides
    Either will work. Best to go between positive terminal and positive cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk