Thread: Advice needed: whining noise from engine CA18DET

Rides

Advice needed: whining noise from engine CA18DET

Hi all after some advice.

Went out for a drive today, after some pulls noticed that the engine started making a weird whining noise. This was accompanied by a burny smell and a little smoke coming from the valve cover/exhaust manifold area.

Any idea what it could be?

Cheers

Rides
    I don't know what it is but mine has been making the exact same noise for over 3 years and it's my daily driver so I wouldn't worry about yours breaking down. I don't have a smell from mine though or smoke from cam cover. I always thought it was probably a clutch release bearing issue on mine but I never bothered to take the gearbox off. Hopefully someone can be more helpful than me.

Rides
    Sounds like a slightly tight timing belt? Pretty sure mine had that sound after a rebuild and with it back in and out the car multiple times for other reasons I set the tension correctly and it stopped.

It would be weird to start making that sound though if you haven't touched the belt at all recently... hmmm

Rides
    Good shout, I like to overtighten my cambelts so that's probably it.

Rides
    Thanks for your replies.

Cambelt was changed just a little over a year ago and hasn't done too many miles since so would bum if it is that.

From what I can find I think it might either be the timing belt tensioner or my turbo has decided it's had enough. Both seem like a PITA to sort thankfully ha.

Rides
    My turbo seal has been leaking for over 3 years. I can't afford a new turbo. If you do change it then take it off still attached to the manifold.