Thread: Clutch causing car to stall?!

Rides

Clutch causing car to stall?!

Hey I have a 1999 s14a and sometimes when I push the clutch down on the way down the RPMs drop and causes it to idle really badly and stops when I put it all the way to the ground, tires out my foot, also when turning my steering wheel full lock it also starts idling roughly and nearly stalls sometimes!

Could this be to do with any hydraulic or the clutch slave or master cylinder?

Cheers
    Notty

Rides
    Is it in gear or in neutral when this is happening? If you try it in neutral and it does the same then it’s nothing to do with the clutch. If it’s doing it when in gear then it’s possible the clutch isn’t fully disengaging, so still biting and trying to move the car forward?

Power steering puts some load on the engine so it’s normal for revs to drop slightly when turning, but there’s a sensor in the power steering pipes to stop that happening by telling the ECU to raise the revs slightly on full lock if I remember right.

Rides
    Okay for example I’ll be at a drive thru and put it in neutral and pull the clutch back out and sit there and it will idle really roughly, I have to give it
    A little rev to gain back to normal idle and even sometimes it won’t go back.

Also I can turn the steering Wheel to correct the idle sometimes, what could this be?

Rides
    Anyone have any idea?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by notty View Post
    Okay for example I’ll be at a drive thru and put it in neutral and pull the clutch back out and sit there and it will idle really roughly, I have to give it
    A little rev to gain back to normal idle and even sometimes it won’t go back.

Also I can turn the steering Wheel to correct the idle sometimes, what could this be?
    As above, there’s a sensor in the power steering pipes which tells the ECU to raise the revs slightly when steering at a standstill. This is to prevent the engine from stalling due to the extra load put on the engine by the power steering pump.

So when this problem happens does the idle go back to normal when you push the clutch pedal? And does it do it when in neutral or only when in gear? If not then it’s probably nothing to do with the clutch.

Rides
    Think your problem is more likely to be a boost/vacuum leak, or the idle speed needing adjusted.