Thread: Turbo coolant disengaged...why?

Rides

Turbo coolant disengaged...why?

Can someone please have a look at the images through the link below. I've been having power issues recently and I think it's all down to my turbo.

I've recently had my Turbo, manifold and down pipe gaskets replaced because the turbo intake gasket blew along with the bolts securing it to the down pipe. My mechanic was confused because he thought that the oil intake to the turbo had been cut...I've just done some research online and it wasn't the oil intake but the coolant intake. There is currently no coolant feed to my turbo; it has been plugged from the source and the coolant intake has been chopped off and sealed (basically crushed with pliers about an inch from the coolant inlet.

This was all done by a previous owner. I know the car has had a larger turbo at some point because it's fitted with an aftermarket manifold.

The car seems to suddenly lose power at the same point in certain journeys suggesting that something is overheating. I assume after finding that there is no coolant feed to the turbo that this is the problem.

Just how big a deal is this? Surely the Turbo should have coolant?

https://imgur.com/a/xEpIAYM
    Last edited by loves2spooge; 17-12-2020 at 01:24.

Rides
    Looks like a standard T28? It should have water feed, but it's not unknown for T28's to be run without - I ran one on my S13 for a good few years / quite a few miles with no cooling at it was all good - plenty of others have done the same. I'd very much doubt it's that causing your issue - it could lead to premature failure of the turbo in respect of the seals getting cooked and it spewing oil out the back, but unlikely what you're describing.

If you can describe the symptoms of the power loss in more detail and the spec of the car, we'll see what do

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Looks like a standard T28? It should have water feed, but it's not unknown for T28's to be run without - I ran one on my S13 for a good few years / quite a few miles with no cooling at it was all good - plenty of others have done the same. I'd very much doubt it's that causing your issue - it could lead to premature failure of the turbo in respect of the seals getting cooked and it spewing oil out the back, but unlikely what you're describing.

If you can describe the symptoms of the power loss in more detail and the spec of the car, we'll see what do
    Yes it's a standard T28. As an example; I drive to my dad's every Sunday to eat beef and make sure he's still alive. At pretty much the same point on the motorway the car kinda stutters and loses power. I have to take my foot off the accelerator for a few seconds before it will kick back in. The fact that it happens at the same point in the journey is why I think it's heat related. To be honest I have always thought that it feels more like a fuel feed problem rather than a Turbo issue but I suppose I just assumed it was the Turbo overheating.

This has been an ongoing problem for about a year now but in the last couple of weeks I have also not been getting the same woosh of power from the Turbo. Since I had the gaskets replaced and the Turbo reattached to the manifold it just feels a bit down on power.

It's good to know that the coolant feed is not 100% necessary though.

Rides
    Do you know what fuel pump is in it? If it's still the original then....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Do you know what fuel pump is in it? If it's still the original then....
    The original one failed early last year so I put a Walbro 255 in it.