Thread: Power steering issue?

Southwest Scotland / North Eyeland, New Zealand
    Rides

Power steering issue?

I have just started up my 200SX; it has been stored in a garage for a few years. The oil is OK, but old, and is going to be changed etc. However, when I drove it from storage to my place, I noticed a strange issue with the power steering. Basically, the power steering works perfectly, but when turning rapidly in one direction (I can't remember if it was left or right...), it 'pauses' for a second.

I know this can be when the pump loses pressure, but is it common to be on one side only? Any ideas on troubleshooting (I want to get the equivalent of an MOT on this but don't want to have to buy a whole new rack / pump unless I need to!

The car itself is 1995, 40,000 miles approx, one owner before me. Unmodified!

Cheers!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Is the belt tight on the pulleys?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Southwest Scotland / North Eyeland, New Zealand
    Rides
    Thank you for pointing this out; it probably is that, given the car has been sat for a while! I will check it when it is daylight (7am in winter here - NZ - still pitch black outside!). Still wondering what to do with a one owner (prior to me), 40,000 miles, factory original 200SX (1995), unmodified, and with the numberplate '200SX 1' - I feel guilty putting miles onto it. Will likely keep it for weekend drives. And there is a race track near me - I could always bring it there (once it has been run-in properly and maybe proactive replacement of big end bearings!)