Thread: Gearbox noise - help?

Rides

Gearbox noise - help?

To put it simply, I’m really at the end of my tether now and I’m hoping someone might be able to help with some knowledge or something.

Car - S14a

So let me start from the beginning, I had a clutch bearing kind of noise, wasn’t too loud but it was there and then my car got stuck in 5th gear a couple of times so I replaced the clutch with an ACT performance street clutch and whilst I was at it I upgraded the pivot ball to a nismo one.

When I replaced the clutch and obviously had to drain the gearbox oil, I noticed it was very metallicy, I put new oil in and hoped for the best.

After bedding in the clutch for 800 miles, about double the recommended by ACT I took it on a short motorway trip about 1 hour away and by the end of it I had a very loud almost heavy ticking noise that could be heard from inside and outside the car (can get a video if easier)
    I took this as being my gearbox judging by all the metallic oil that came out.

So.. I have now had my gearbox fully rebuilt and have again put in fresh oil (always use genuine Nissan oil btw) and the noise is exactly the same I have had a closer listen under the vehicle tonight and it sounds to be at the back of the gearbox near the prop - alsmot sound like its engaging or trying to when it shouldn’t.

The noise happens -
    When idling, stops when clutch is depressed.
    Whilst driving in gear, clutch up.
    And also when coasting, clutch depressed.

Thank you if you’ve read this far and I would be very grateful for any help.

Rides
    Probably best to send a video of the noise for someone to hopefully diagnose.

Rides
    Bearings?

Rides
    jack the back end of the car up high and whip the prop out and drive it. see if the noise is still there.

Rides
    I don’t think it would be bearings of any kind as the gearbox has just been fully rebuilt?

There are a couple of videos, hopefully they might help.

Rides
    im sorry to say but I would say its either input shaft bearing or mainshaft bearing in the gearbox. Do you have gearbox rebuild info with confirmation of what bearings and tolerance checks they done?
    When your driving does the noise lessen in 4th? that would narrow down what bearing is at fault as on the standard gearing it is a 1:1 and hence input to main shaft should be turning at same speed.

It could be something simple like the clutch fork is loose on the pivot and causing the rattle so I would get under the car and check that but as above the way the rattle disappears progressively would indicate its rotating and likely on the input shaft assy or interface with the main shaft.
    Last edited by s200rat; 31-05-2019 at 03:52.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleyo View Post
    And also when coasting, clutch depressed.
    This would point to the bearing between input and mainshaft

Rides
    75w90 GL4 is what you need. Comma do this oil at Halfords etc. Nissan sell GL5 which isn't right for the s14a gearbox

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    75w90 GL4 is what you need. Comma do this oil at Halfords etc. Nissan sell GL5 which isn't right for the s14a gearbox
    Really? I had a good look online before to try and find the best stuff and most said to use the genuine MT-XZ

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s200rat View Post
    im sorry to say but I would say its either input shaft bearing or mainshaft bearing in the gearbox. Do you have gearbox rebuild info with confirmation of what bearings and tolerance checks they done?
    When your driving does the noise lessen in 4th? that would narrow down what bearing is at fault as on the standard gearing it is a 1:1 and hence input to main shaft should be turning at same speed.

It could be something simple like the clutch fork is loose on the pivot and causing the rattle so I would get under the car and check that but as above the way the rattle disappears progressively would indicate its rotating and likely on the input shaft assy or interface with the main shaft.

Had a look at the invoice again today and it simply says ‘recondition gearbox’ so I’m gonna ring up on Monday and ask for more information.

In a way I would be relieved if it was the gearbox and I could just get it sorted or replaced. I miss driving the car, it’s no fun throwing money at an ornament

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleyo View Post
    Really? I had a good look online before to try and find the best stuff and most said to use the genuine MT-XZ
    I've looked at but can't work out whether is gl4 or gl5 now! Don't want to freak you out maybe they now sell GL4 again

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    I've looked at but can't work out whether is gl4 or gl5 now! Don't want to freak you out maybe they now sell GL4 again
    Had a look again online and think it says GL4+ so I hope that’s okay?

Rides
    Right so I rang the place that rebuilt the gearbox today and they were pretty useless really. They were basically adamant that they had done a full rebuild with everything being replaced and that they couldn’t possibly have done anything wrong and that I would need to take my car to them for testing!

Rides
    Its GL4

Rides
    Just to update anyone who might have been curious of my noise and to possibly help anyone else in the future..

I finally managed to get the company that rebuilt my gearbox to reinspect it after a lot of phone calls and videos of the noise and they seem to have fixed it this time!

They have said that my noise was caused by an indentation on one of the teeth int he fifth gear set and this was causing the noise. Whether this was true or just an excuse to cover up a mistake they made, I’m not sure but I’m happy to have it sorted at last.

Thank you to everyone who replies to this topic and helping out.