Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S13 ca18det now healthy and advice on 250 ish bhp please

Rides

S13 ca18det now healthy and advice on 250 ish bhp please

Hi all again, update to previous thread hitting 10.5 across all cylinders now. So advice please, i have been looking and there a lots of mixed opinions on this but all the threads are related to peeps achieving 300bhp. I would like to aim for the 250-60 mark to ensure reliability and if anyone has any advice on the best quick spooling turbo to achieve that power? I was thinking
    Fmic, 444 injectors, z32 maf and nistune plus either gt28r or i think t2561?
    I already have colder plugs, air filter,full through exhaust,walbro fuel pump, manual boost controller and stage 1 hdev chip.
    Thanks in advance for any help :-)

Rides
    Absolutley no need for larger injectors or MAF if you only want 250bhp.

A T28 turbo front mount intercooler and a stage 2 chip is all you need, you have the rest of the stuff already.

Rides
    Out of interest what power are the stock injectors good for then? Also i had an s14 with stock t28 a while back, is the power delivery the same on the ca. It's just that i want quicker low end power as you can never really open the car up for better top end really.

Rides
    You can make about 280bhp on the stock injectors.

If you want abit more low down power the GT2560R spools up a touch faster, you could also look at port matching the manifold to both the turbo and the head, some people have had good experiences with that (and it's free if you've got a die grinder)

Rides
    Thankyou for the advice, saved me a bit of money there:-) gt2560r sounds good to me then and I'll look into how to do port matching whilst I'm at it. Couple more questions if you don't mind:-) what power is stock maf good for? Also i assume because it's a t25 it will bolt straight on?

Rides
    Stock MAF can manage pretty much the same as the stock injectors, so 280 or thereabouts. People don't upgrade the MAF unless they're also fitting larger injectors.
    Yea the GT2560R will bolt straight on.

You will probably need an intake snout for the turbo as the stock T25 has one cast into the compressor housing but the upgrade turbo's have a flange.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Absolutley no need for larger injectors or MAF if you only want 250bhp.

A T28 turbo front mount intercooler and a stage 2 chip is all you need, you have the rest of the stuff already.
    You got it.

I've been running a measured (thanks Jez) 247 bhp with classic stage 2 Horsham chip (and thanks again Jez...) on original injectors, Norris FMIC (rare as rocking horse poo now, but still a class act if you can lay your hands on one and no cutting or chopping needed), genuine Walboro fuel pump and original AFM. Engine hasn't missed a beat for the last six years at 15 psi boost.

Got all the bits for Stage 3 but just never got around to fitting them while she's been running so well. Plus I still run with an auto transmission and not sure Stage 3 won't just lunch it.

I used to run with an S14 T28 which worked well but then lucked into a genuine low mileage GT28R aka GT2560R. The difference is amazing, very early spool up and smooth as a very smooth thing. More like having a bigger engine under the bonnet rather than a turbo. While I haven't upped the boost they are reputed to be almost unbreakable at higher levels if you get the right one.

Rides
    It's 2019, there are so many better options available than the 20+ year old stage 2/3 setups.

GT2560R turbo (or something fancier like a GTX2860R Gen2), ASNU 450cc injectors, R35 AFM, Audi coils, Nistune ECU (or something fancier like Link/Haltech)

Rides
    I wouldn't mind having the nistune as it's good for future proofing. I have had an eye out for the norris fmic as well but as you say (rare) can't be arsed with chopping the bodywork and don't want to either. It seems like the t2560r is my weapon of choice for sure, best price i can find is £680 new :-( that is serious money for me, might have to find someone who wants to go stage 3 cough (rochester) cough ;-)

Rides
    Just another quick one if i may. What spark plugs are you all using. Had my ngk ones out and thought i might replace em, they've only done about 2000 miles but want to keep it runing sweet

Rides
    Ngk bcpr7es

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    genuine low mileage GT28R aka GT2560R. The difference is amazing... ...if you get the right one.
    ....aaaand the right one is the early S15 GT28R Part number 14411 69F00 - Features "Hi resist" Nickel housing and higher spec "inconel" turbine and compressor wheels. Said to be almost unbreakable at higher boost levels. Yeah right, pinch of salt time: any turbo will break if you tweak it too high, but reliable running at up to 20 psi boost seems credible.

Other GT28R's and S15 turbos aren't quite as good, although I believe (until corrected by someone who actually knows what they are talking about) they are all BB cores which is the main thing that makes all the difference. Early early on smooth boost with almost imperceptible lag and no huge bang in the back coming on boost ballache.

Though some people like that characteristic of a turbo'd car. Different strokes and all that. Pays yer money and makes yer choice.
    Last edited by Rochester; 30-06-2019 at 11:48.

Rides
    Pointz, in reference to the spark plugs. I currently have bkr8eix ngk iridiums. I bought them when i started tinkering, did i buy the wrong ones ? Also thanks for the advice, i will order a set of the bcpr7es. Thanks again for all the info and advice rochester, i must admit i do quite the savage kick of when the turbo does come in :-) however with how damn busy the roads are now i think a bit of lowere end refined power might be more useable. I'm waiying for a price back from owen developments on a gt2560r dual ball bearing. I'm goimg to give them a ring tomorrow to make sure my t25 braided lines fit it though.

Rides
    New thread goimg up in a min for gt2560r question.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dotzero View Post
    Pointz, in reference to the spark plugs. I currently have bkr8eix ngk iridiums. I bought them when i started tinkering, did i buy the wrong ones ? Also thanks for the advice, i will order a set of the bcpr7es. Thanks again for all the info and advice rochester, i must admit i do quite the savage kick of when the turbo does come in :-) however with how damn busy the roads are now i think a bit of lowere end refined power might be more useable. I'm waiying for a price back from owen developments on a gt2560r dual ball bearing. I'm goimg to give them a ring tomorrow to make sure my t25 braided lines fit it though.
    Grade 8 is too cold for stage 2 mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Cool. Thanks for the that, paid more money for something i didn't need :-) classic. Did you see my new thread with regards to the gt2560r fittment on a stock ca manni? Also, the correct plugs are now on there way.

Rides
    What do you have your plugs gapped to? My ones have turned up now and wanted to check them before fitting :-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dotzero View Post
    What do you have your plugs gapped to? My ones have turned up now and wanted to check them before fitting :-)
    0.8mm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    GT2560R turbo (or something fancier like a GTX2860R Gen2), ASNU 450cc injectors, R35 AFM, Audi coils, Nistune ECU (or something fancier like Link/Haltech)
    All down to cost though, always has been really.

The old stage 1-3 stuff was never the best performance possible, but it was the best value for money.
    Used T28, cheap bleed valve, intercooler off a Saab or Volvo, Walbro pump and a ECU chip. You'd have your 250-280bhp for a couple of hundred quid, it really was the cheapest tuning you could do, even compared to other turbo motors of the time it was cheap.

Rides
    Cheers pointz