Thread: Metal garage style sheds

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

Metal garage style sheds

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

I’m sure they’re cheap for a reason.

I’m looking at constructing a garage sized shed at the bottom of the garage which may eventually be used as a workshop or even as an additional garage (this is unlikely).

Do these promote a lot of condensation due to the construction?

Are they even remotely secure, enough for garden tools bikes etc? And can they be made more secure with bracing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    it must be pretty flimsy steel work at that price or there is hidden costs. Ive put up a few cold rolled metal section sheds and you would be ~3k for a kit of a shed that size + cost of the base (concrete + steel mesh). Are you sure its not just a badly worded advert and all they are offering is "assembly service".

Condensation is always an issue on steel sheds due to difference in temperatures at dawn / dust. Condensation will form and drip at the purlins. You get an internal felt overlay on the roof sheets which makes a massive difference.

Regarding security, if your concerned with break-ins in your area then unfortunately you will have to accept that if people want in, then they will get in. Doors are weak points and you either bend up the lower corners or use a pry bar and burst the hinges to pull the door away. Likewise if the rear / sides are not in full view, all you need is time and use tin snips and cut an access or remove the tek screws that hold the sheets on.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Break ins aren’t really an issue but never say never, it’ll also be at the back of the rear garden which is quite secure in itself.

I have access to weld mesh so was thinking the sides could be insulated then lined with the mesh for piece of mind. The other options are the cheap eBay shed garages which don’t look like they’ll last or build my own which also likely wouldn’t last
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    why not buy some surplus/ cosmetically damaged panels they make warehouses out of,
    like these
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-ins...UAAOSwaDpavPRi
    and build one your self. that's kind of what I plan to do but I live in a massive warehouse development town so can put my hands on the stuff fairly easy.

id expect those steel garages to be pretty flimsy and suffer with condensation, id also guess it would be pretty noisy inside when it rained or when you had to do some hammering/grinding. I worked somewhere that setup a fabrication facility inside a 4oft shipping container and it was like working inside a giant drum when doing noisy stuff, it was also boiling hot when the sun was out and cold in the winter. plus condensation all year round.

if your strong then you could pick up a secondhand concrete sectional garage as they don't need planning permission. only drawback is you need to lay a concrete base.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Some good ideas there, cheers. I was hoping insulating the inside would cut down on the noise and condensation but it may well be a losing battle.

Rides
    I used to have a small 6x4 metal shed in my garden and it was pretty flimsy. Worst thing I remember was the banging noises when it’s windy. Worth taking into account before you buy.

Rides
    Looked at shipping containers?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Would have to lift it over the house so it’s a non starter.

Rides
    Flimsy and shit in my experience. Total pain to fit together, screw holes don't line up.

It's look at other options personally, if on a budget a wood one is an option.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I will be going for a wood shed like this over the next few months, maybe not this exact one but around this price and size: Shed

Currently in the middle of getting hardcore in ready for the concrete base, from reviews they seem the best bang for buck and as they deliver and put them up a couple hundred quid I don't think it's a bad deal. let me know what you go for though.

Rides
    Metal sheds are a 'mare in this country because of the relatively high humidity we have.

EVERYTHING and I mean everything you put in there will go rusty (even logs lol), you will get dripped on and they are noisy.

People buy wooden sheds because they breath. If you have a reasonable passage of air under the shed and treat the floor before you put it down and the walls every 5-7 years, it will last for years.

I've got a wooden shed that I bought over 20 years ago and its still in perfect nick. I've had to re-felt the roof twice (because I moved the shed) and paint it with creocote (from Wickes) every 7 years.

Its on a brick base with pea shingle infill.