Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an Internet provider.

Rides
    Multiple ways to deal with that, my preference would be the back of my hand.

But you know you can set wifi access times on most routers and be able disconnect remote tablets or phones. More sophisticated routers or software ones like pfsense can identify them via mac address and chuck em off at a schedual.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Multiple ways to deal with that, my preference would be the back of my hand.
    Its not PC to do that. Putting them up for adoption is a much more socially acceptable way of fixing the problem and it saves money too

Rides
    Haha

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Its not PC to do that. Putting them up for adoption is a much more socially acceptable way of fixing the problem and it saves money too
    This is a fair point, cant understand why folk want kids - like i want to run about after annoying little brats all my life while my Mrs went from a nice slim good body to a bloated ranty nut job with a massive fanny.

Rides
    I'm female. We're born angry, pregnancy doesn't do that to us.

Rides
    lol, well ok it amplifies it a bit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I'm female. We're born angry, pregnancy doesn't do that to us.
    You should come back and rant about that when you've knocked a couple of sprogs out, Danielle !

Rides
    I got a 2nd hand battery which was nearly new. Now my old laptop works. Watched a YouTube video of someone connecting a laptop to a router and I didn't get it. It was like rocket science to me. I'm going to ask my boyfriend if he needs WiFi. If the answer is no I'm going to cancel it. I cannot be doing with technology. I get some free 4g on my phone which I think will suffice. If it doesn't I can always get WiFi again in the future.

Rides
    Cancelled the talk talk WiFi this evening. Took me 13 minutes. Couldn't understand much of what the Indians were saying but for some reason it takes 30 days to cancel. I suspect this is so they can charge me a bit more money before I leave.

Rides
    I dont think you really needed to go to that length, the wifi would have been fixable without too much trouble but would have needed a little tech time spent on it i presume you cancled the whole broadband package so you have none now as you cannot just disable wifi.

Still you can maybe look to changing from talk talk broadband to another that provides a better wireless router, as that is where it comes from - you prob just didnt have enough grunt out of it. Lots of companies claim better wifi speeds because of better wifi tech in there routers but at the end of the day if your house walls block the signals then you will see issues.

Rides
    I know but if I need WiFi in the future I'll try and get a provider that speaks English. Not only is their English terrible but the line was shocking.

Rides
    Your wifi is broadband, you will have no broadband connection at all now so no data available coming in. I know a lot of folk though just use wifi through there broadband but the two are separate things.
    Still if you need it in the future you could prob move to a supplier with a better piece of kit, its ultimately just down to the router/access point being able to force the wireless signal through the house. In bigger places or those with modern bloody metal frames or what not in the walls this is almost impossible and you have to have access points all over the place - an access point is just the transmitter / receiver part of the wireless.

Know what you mean by outsourcing to india and all that, i am dismayed at how IT staff and people with IT skills are treated here. Its a very complex and technical area to work in and we are generally under paid and always thought of as disposable when the red appears on the costings spreadsheets.
    Good IT staff are like doctors, consultants, architects, engineers ect - IT is not easy and should be held up there with those kind of jobs but its not seen like that from the been counter plebs. What you get is offshoring to mongs in india and other places who have little knowledge and only follow instructions on a piece of paper. This has hit banks and other big businesses recently but the ****s in charge never get the point.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Your wifi is broadband, you will have no broadband connection at all now so no data available coming in. I know a lot of folk though just use wifi through there broadband but the two are separate things.
    Still if you need it in the future you could prob move to a supplier with a better piece of kit, its ultimately just down to the router/access point being able to force the wireless signal through the house. In bigger places or those with modern bloody metal frames or what not in the walls this is almost impossible and you have to have access points all over the place - an access point is just the transmitter / receiver part of the wireless.

Know what you mean by outsourcing to india and all that, i am dismayed at how IT staff and people with IT skills are treated here. Its a very complex and technical area to work in and we are generally under paid and always thought of as disposable when the red appears on the costings spreadsheets.
    Good IT staff are like doctors, consultants, architects, engineers ect - IT is not easy and should be held up there with those kind of jobs but its not seen like that from the been counter plebs. What you get is offshoring to mongs in india and other places who have little knowledge and only follow instructions on a piece of paper. This has hit banks and other big businesses recently but the ****s in charge never get the point.
    I make a good living out of being an IT cu-ntsultant (sic) but I have never thought of myself in the same bracket as Doctors.

They save lives (sometimes). We just build unnecessarily complex computer-based solutions that sales people then convince Joe Public that they need. We're not saving lives, we're enabling social media which fcuks up more lives than it helps.

I just do it as an enabler for my decadent lifestyle. Sometimes I wonder how I live with myself. Not often but occasionally.

Rides
    I certainly do, when you think of the complexity and knowledge to do IT right its not a noobs game. Not thinking along the lines of saving lives or that, then again we can certainly ruin folks lives by being crap.
    Problem is there are a lot of noobs doing it, they like to be employed by shit companies wanting to save a buck or two on technology so outsource it to india and then we get what the OP has in this thread - a crap experience.

Rides
    IT looks like rocket science to me. I wouldn't want to do it.

Rides
    Currently struggling to resist the urge of throwing my new printer out the window. My parents bought me a bluetooth printer for my birthday. I thought it was going to be as simple as pairing it up and printing but oh no, its not. The only instructions I got was a picture telling me to plug the thing into the wall. Nice one HP. I plugged it into the wall, manged to connect it to the WIFI (which I still currently have) and create a HP account and even pair it with my phone for a brief moment. The HP app will not find the stupid printer and now it won't pair with my phone on bluetooth. TECHNOLOGY CAN JOG ON!

I'm off to find a cabin in the woods to live in grrrrrrr

Rides
    Is it an HP Envy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Most of HO printers are WiFi only and not Bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Bluetooth is very short range, most devices are class 2 range 10 meters and must be line sight with no walls.

Rides
    Er didnt you just remove wifi from your house.