Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exhaust firing/spluttering when throttle is applied

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post

Is there a reducer or anything in the pipe coming from the intake hose??

IIRC in the stock pipe there's a big restriction in it near the cam cover end?
    Sorry for the late answer, been pretty busy the last couple of days!

Nope, no reducer in that pipe atm.

Looks like you're right, there is a reducer in the pipe coming from the intake, close to the cam cover, never noticed that.. I have all the stock breather pipes, so I was able to find it:

Breather hose

I think it's the correct hose at least.. This is how it looks:
    Breather hose

Is that reducer needed?

Rides
    Did you get anywhere with the AAC? Tried another unit or maybe looked at the earthing points to ensure it's getting a decent electrical connection.

Also do you have a lambda or non-lambda ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by h0ivik View Post
    Is that reducer needed?
    Not entirely sure to be honest, but if it's simple enough to refit might be worth a shot.
    Might just be there to try prevent too much air entering the crank case and creating pressure, so probably not the source of your issues.

Rides
    Did you get anywhere with the AAC? Tried another unit or maybe looked at the earthing points to ensure it's getting a decent electrical connection.

Also do you have a lambda or non-lambda ECU?
    Nope, did all the diagnostic tests in the FSM and it looks like everything is good! I have another AAC unit, but it's dead.. I'm just thinking that the problem might be the ECU since everything else looks good, but I might be wrong. I'll see if I can get a hold of a known working AAC, probs have to buy one.

Lambda ECU (Part no is: 23710-39F00).

Not entirely sure to be honest, but if it's simple enough to refit might be worth a shot.
    Might just be there to try prevent too much air entering the crank case and creating pressure, so probably not the source of your issues.
    Alright, will see if I can get the reducer removed from the old pipe. Shouldn't be too difficult getting it out, probably a little more trickier getting it in the pipe

Rides
    Put a test lamp on it while running it should light up.
    IMG_5588.640JPG by Peter Hill, on Flickr

If it doesn't light then try putting one end of lamp in turn to earth on plenum. If it doesn't light in either terminal of plug there is problem with the feed from the ignition switch via 10A fuse and breaker in engine bay fuse box. If it lights when connected to earth then problem in in wiring to ECU or ECU.

Unplug ECU, Connect bulb to pin 106 on loom plug and ground. If that lights with ign on then its the ECU. If it doesn't light then you are looking for a break in the loom.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    If that lights with ign on then its the ECU. If it doesn't light then you are looking for a break in the loom.
    Does this part of the loom go down in the lower wheel arch area?

The same part of the loom thats notorious for wearing through and causing electrical problems.

Rides
    Put a test lamp on it while running it should light up.

If it doesn't light then try putting one end of lamp in turn to earth on plenum. If it doesn't light in either terminal of plug there is problem with the feed from the ignition switch via 10A fuse and breaker in engine bay fuse box. If it lights when connected to earth then problem in in wiring to ECU or ECU.

Unplug ECU, Connect bulb to pin 106 on loom plug and ground. If that lights with ign on then its the ECU. If it doesn't light then you are looking for a break in the loom.
    Will try this on Monday, thanks!

Rides
    Does this part of the loom go down in the lower wheel arch area?

The same part of the loom thats notorious for wearing through and causing electrical problems.
    I don't think so. It's on the injector / ignition loom, I think that goes across the bulkhead and into the cabin under the wiper motor. page EL-104.

Rides
    Been quite busy the last week, so wasn't able to test until today..

Does not light up when test lamp is connected to the terminals on plug going to the AAC.
    Lights up when connected to earth on plenum and one of the terminals on AAC plug (brown wire).

Lights up with ign on, when connected to pin 106 and earth. So ECU it is, I guess..

Is there only 1 component inside the ECU controlling the AAC (I'm a noob when it comes to ecu's)?

Sent from my celly via Tapatalk

Rides
    Managed to get another ECU, plugged it in and AAC is working again!

Idle speed now drops when AAC is unplugged, and goes up to around 1400 rpm then it drops back to around 850-900 when plugged back in.

Haven't noticed the exhaust firing issue again, since adjusting the TPS a while back. So it seems like most of my issues are fixed!

Thanks to everyone for all the help/tips!

Rides
    If you take the lid off the ECU, with plug at top and rom at bottom RHS you will find there are 2 transistors just above 1/2 way up on LHS and marking on a vacant space for a 3rd, spread across the PCB from about middle to near LHS edge. I think it's one of them and the vacant space is for the JDM butterfly control. Can't tell you which one, you would have to trace the copper track to loom plug.

Rides
    If you take the lid off the ECU, with plug at top and rom at bottom RHS you will find there are 2 transistors just above 1/2 way up on LHS and marking on a vacant space for a 3rd, spread across the PCB from about middle to near LHS edge. I think it's one of them and the vacant space is for the JDM butterfly control. Can't tell you which one, you would have to trace the copper track to loom plug.
    Thanks for the info, will take a look at my old ecu and see if I can figure it out!