Thread: Stock downpipe removal!?

Rides

Stock downpipe removal!?

Hello people trying to replace my turbo and I’ve got everything lose except the down pipe from the elbow, now as far as I’m aware there are two bolts I’ve taken off from the top of the engine and one that needs to come off from underneath the car, is this correct?

Or have I done it all wrong?

The one last bolt I’m trying to take off from underneath has rounded and it’s pretty old and rusty, don’t know what to do!

Rides
    I haven't touched a standard downpipe in a while but I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a stud with a nut on it because it wasn't possible to use a bolt due to access. Not sure if that helps you at all

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Also could you not just remove the turbo and down pipe as one and separate after

Rides
    It's usually easier to undo the downpipe by the cat, as it's two bolts, you get to it easily, and if you snap it, you drill it out easier. Then can can pull the turbo out with the elbow and downpipe attached (although whole thinking about it, this is for an rb25, I guess it's the same as on the Sr20?!)

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhillen View Post
    Also could you not just remove the turbo and down pipe as one and separate after

From memory this is the best option.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Okay guys thanks for the information and help I will have a go at pulling the turbo out with the Down pipe attached, thinking about getting an aftermarket downpipe anyway, it’s just I thought it would give me an MOT failure because no cats means bad emissions?
    Last edited by Davus200; 09-05-2019 at 10:55.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by notty View Post
    Okay guys thanks for the information and help I will have a go at pulling the turbo out with the Down pipe attached, thinking about getting an aftermarket downpipe anyway, it’s just I thought it would give me an MOT failure because no cats means bad emissions?
    IIRC as long as you have at least the main cat, you'll be fine for the MOT (providing everything else is running fine...). Never seen/ heard of anyone running just the downpipe cat as they are usually binned.

Quoting my MOT tester; under the new rules if your car is extensively modified (includes having a cage). It can be classed as a 'road legal track car' which means you no longer need a cat anyway.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus200 View Post
    IIRC as long as you have at least the main cat, you'll be fine for the MOT (providing everything else is running fine...). Never seen/ heard of anyone running just the downpipe cat as they are usually binned.

Quoting my MOT tester; under the new rules if your car is extensively modified (includes having a cage). It can be classed as a 'road legal track car' which means you no longer need a cat anyway.
    That sounds interesting. I have a rollcage in my garage I'm planning on fitting soon. I wonder if these new rules apply in northern Ireland as well. I'm sure there's other aspects of it would make the mot a lot easier.