Thread: Turbo help!

Rides

Turbo help!

Hi I built my car end of last year and I came across a decent manifold for cheap that came with a hy35 i soon found out that turbo is way way to big and very leggy I'll post dyno graphs at bottom.

My question is what turbo would people recommend I'm looking for good power 450+who but without the lag I've been looking at the g25-550 but I'm unsure what exhaust housing would be best .72 or .92 does anyone have any experiences ?

Rides
    try running like 2bar of boost through the thing. those big old turbos love the boost.
    joking aside,,what is the spec on you HY35? are they not usually /t3 framed so you will be limited to a T3 turbo if you want to reuse your manifold.
    Last edited by green_rs13; 07-05-2019 at 19:11.

Rides
    That was the plan but boost controller wasnt working on dyno haha, I'm pretty sure its 10cm housing, it's a wastegate housing but I've got it welded closed and running external gate. As for manifold I dont mind cutting the flange off and tigging a vband if needed

Rides
    If you want 450 then got for the smaller exhaust housing on the G25-550, the larger one will support more power but come with increased lag.

Rides
    Ye you are running that holset well under it's efficiency as such, get it up to 1.5/1.6 bar and you will probs be over 400hp, if it's a built engine it should love it! Can you not get an 8cm housing for the holset with the same t3 flange, worth looking at? Would definitely help.

A decent boost controller on an external gate also helps with spool/lag as it bleeds pressure off the top of the wastegate meaning it doesn't boost creep like it will on just the external gate pressure. I have experience with this myself as I run external gate with a mbc and get a little bit of chatter etc whereas friends of mine have ebc's and theirs come on fast/harder.

Let us know what you do and get another dyno when it's boosting proper

Rides
    cheers for your input i will go the .72 housing on the g25 550 but in the meantime ill throw another bar of boost at this holset im running a blitz controller on a 38mm tial gate and the engine is forged and has seen that boost on previous turbo so i know it will handle it