Thread: Is200 camshaft query

Rides

Is200 camshaft query

I have replaced a bunch of exhaust valves on my 1G-FE. I don't have a workshop manual for it and I can't find an online manual. I've just put the head back on. I'm struggling to time the inlet camshaft as I don't know what to line it up with. I can line up the other cam as it has a sprocket but the inlet cam does not. Has anyone done the job before and could tell me how you did it? Or does anyone have a link to an online manual?

Rides
    I had a look and found no online manuals, could try search for the info or ask a question here https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/
    the vvti sprocket for the inlet is on the rear,so complete guess but marks to align maybe on the back/rear of the head

Rides
    I found a dimple on the back side of each camshaft sprocket so I can now time the camshafts together. The vvti sprocket is on the front of the 1g, the sprocket is split in half so back of it is normal camshaft, front is vvti. There are 3 holes in the front of it but they don't line up with anything in its current position. The vvti wasn't working so I suspect the vvti sprocket position is wrong. It might be possible to turn it and line it up with something. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Rides
    I looked at so many pictures I thought it was dual VVTi,correct it's only one
    VVTi sprocket has a locked position there is a method using compressed air forced into a tiny hole to unlock the pin
    ,iirc it is fitted in the unlocked position torqued up ,if it is fitted locked it won't unlock with engine running oil pressure etc
    unlock video for the 1nz-fe four pot, principle is the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuKrnIzU4Bs

Rides
    I found there's a lot of info online about the other Toyota engines but nothing for the 1g. That video is a bit baffling at the minute. I'll have to look into it tomorrow. I've never stripped the head of a car with vvti so this is all new to me.

Rides
    I posted the video as the sprocket works the same on all the vvti engines, it can swing something like 30 degrees unlocked,
    to unlock it needs about 90 psi from a fine point air blower into the hole,
    the engine block is very similar (iirc shares same bore/stroke) to the 1960's toyota 2000gt 3M with a modern multi valve injection head