Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID advice

Rides

HID advice

Hello guys and girls I have carried out a search on the forum no luck . Please can someone help:

I have a Nissan 200sx s14a and in need of better great quality HID kit.

What type do I need H1 or H4
    Where can I source a good quality kit
    What kit are you using ?

Thanx

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by xcapade View Post
    Hello guys and girls I have carried out a search on the forum no luck . Please can someone help:

I have a Nissan 200sx s14a and in need of better great quality HID kit.

What type do I need H1 or H4
    Where can I source a good quality kit
    What kit are you using ?

Thanx
    H1 for high and dipped. As far as a decent kit goes I've always found it to be hit and miss as they all seem to come from China wherever you buy them from.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by james2404 View Post
    H1 for high and dipped. As far as a decent kit goes I've always found it to be hit and miss as they all seem to come from China wherever you buy them from.
    Concur with James- it's H1 on s14a and recently bought from ebay - see my previous post for link- wanted 5k and seemed to have got bulbs which were much bluer

Rides
    You guys are absolute Gents thank you so much . Long live SXOC .

Rides
    You guys are absolute Gents thank you so much . Long live SXOC .
    Just spoke with a mate of mine whos a bit of a lighting nerd, he reckons that CN Light make the bets kits, sold by a user called londoncolour on eBay. They're all 35W, he says if you want to go to 55W buy a generic 55W ballast kit, but it will drop the colour rating. He says a bulb that's rated at 6k at 35W will seem more like a 5k at 55W.

Im just about to purchase this kit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNLIGHT-H...lN4z32-VDwOTfA

With 6k bulbs and then this 55W ballast kit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pa...4d1d3c00ZQaVdp

They should look white and apparently he has run that same combination in daily use for a year with no issues.

Rides
    Personally I would go 6k, H1 35W slim ballast.

They are all much of a muchness to be honest. Probably all come from the same factory.

I installed my 6k HIDs from a group buy on here probably 13 years ago! In those days they weren't a simple plug and play. There was actually wiring involved!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Just spoke with a mate of mine whos a bit of a lighting nerd, he reckons that CN Light make the bets kits, sold by a user called londoncolour on eBay. They're all 35W, he says if you want to go to 55W buy a generic 55W ballast kit, but it will drop the colour rating. He says a bulb that's rated at 6k at 35W will seem more like a 5k at 55W.

They should look white and apparently he has run that same combination in daily use for a year with no issues.
    Thank you so much for the information I will definitely have a look and thank you for taking time out for me. Superstar

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Personally I would go 6k, H1 35W slim ballast.

They are all much of a muchness to be honest. Probably all come from the same factory.

I installed my 6k HIDs from a group buy on here probably 13 years ago! In those days they weren't a simple plug and play. There was actually wiring involved!

You know you are usually right in your advice buddy considering I have picked your brain every so often . Nice to see you on the board I was just looking at when we joined this crazy place yep 2002 and 2004 .

Hope you are very well . I'm going take your advice and purchase the kit you both suggested will keep you posted on verdict . Honestly guys god bless you for taking time out to help

Rides
    You know you are usually right in your advice buddy considering I have picked your brain every so often . Nice to see you on the board I was just looking at when we joined this crazy place yep 2002 and 2004 .

Hope you are very well . I'm going take your advice and purchase the kit you both suggested will keep you posted on verdict . Honestly guys god bless you for taking time out to help
    Hey man, ur welcome! You the one with the white Kream s14a right? Think I saw you in greenford retail park before Christmas.

Rides
    I've had mine fitted for years, got them for HDev. Not sure if they still sell them though.

Rides
    Hey man, ur welcome! You the one with the white Kream s14a right? Think I saw you in greenford retail park before Christmas.

Yes sir thats me , love my 200 have a GTR35 on Litchfield Stage 4a and an M4 on stage 3 but can not ever better the feel and drive of the 200sx DIRTY RAW POWER. That was me, my last min XMAS shop.

Hope you are well

Rides
    I opted for the LED route instead of HID kit over standard bulbs. Massive improvement over stock

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by p.nicholas View Post
    I opted for the LED route instead of HID kit over standard bulbs. Massive improvement over stock
    Apparently the output of HID is way better then LED. Someone on here did a side by side comparison of light output and overall reach.

Not knocking what you have done though, anything has to be better than the stock candle lights lol

Rides
    What LED kit did you go for?
    I'm looking to upgrade the high beams, LED's for them make more sense due to the on\off nature.

Rides
    Amazon, Boswee 60w 10400LM/set 6000k out of stock now, but a massive improvement over standard

Rides
    Just make sure you can replace the bulbs with halogen for MOT.
    Got an advisory last year and was told quite plainly they would fail if presented this year (Nov).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    What LED kit did you go for?
    I'm looking to upgrade the high beams, LED's for them make more sense due to the on\off nature.
    Now that's a great idea! Watching with interest.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Just make sure you can replace the bulbs with halogen for MOT.
    Got an advisory last year and was told quite plainly they would fail if presented this year (Nov).
    On what basis? In the MOT regs it says you need a projector lamp (check) headlight washer jets (check) and headlight levelling (check although manual). So technically he is chatting shit, unless the rules have changed. Or just find yourself a friendly MOT tester.

Rides
    On what basis? In the MOT regs it says you need a projector lamp (check) headlight washer jets (check) and headlight levelling (check although manual). So technically he is chatting shit, unless the rules have changed. Or just find yourself a friendly MOT tester.

Sorry S13.
    S14a dip projector probably OK.
    But a converted main beam should be a fail as that's a reflector.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....ml#section_4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by MOT manual
    "Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."
    and further on in wash and levelling sections
    Quote Originally Posted by MOT manual
    You can identify HID headlamps from:

‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
    C Low (dip) beam headlamp, tungsten filament
    R High (main) beam headlamp or driving lamp, tungsten filament
    CR Low and high (dip and main) beam headlamp, Class-A (usually tungsten filament)
    C/R Low and high (dip and main) beam headlamp with low and high beams not to be operated simultaneously, Class-A (usually tungsten filament)
    HC Low (dip) beam headlamp, Class-B (usually halogen or LED)
    HR High (main) beam headlamp or driving lamp, Class-B (usually halogen or LED)
    HCR Low and high (dip and main) beam headlamp, Class-B (usually halogen or LED)
    HC/R Low and high (dip and main) beam headlamp with low and high beams not to be operated simultaneously, Class-B (usually halogen or LED)
    DC Low (dip) beam headlamp, gas discharge (HID, "Xenon")
    DR High (main) beam headlamp or driving lamp, gas discharge (HID, "Xenon")
    DCR Low and high (dip and main) beam headlamp, gas discharge (HID, "Xenon")
    DC/R Low and high (dip and main) beam headlamp with low and high beams not to be operated simultaneously, gas discharge (HID, "Xenon")

As S14a has dip and main headlamps there should be separate marks on the head lamp. I'd expect HC (Halogen dip) near or on projector body and HR (Halogen main) near the main beam.

Get a rubber DC (HID Discharge dip) stamp and some ink that matches the HC mark. But as MOT guy is looking for DCR (bi-zenon HID dip and main) he may not like that.

Rides

Quick update guys the HID kit from the above is nothing like the ones in picture . Terrible customer service along with faulty ballast so please don't waste your time. Luckily one of the old ballasts still worked from my previous kit so just used that . Back on market for HID kit