Thread: 5 Stud Front wheel bearing replacement

Rides

5 Stud Front wheel bearing replacement

Hello guys,

I have a s13 with 5 stud conversion, i need to replace one of the front wheel bearings but im unsure which one to order as i dont know if it has conversion hubs or replacement s14/a hubs from the previous owner in japan

I believe there is a difference in spindle size from s13/s14 and a difference in length between s14 and s14A

Does anyone know if there is a easy way to identify the ones which i have on the car? From a shaft measurement or another area?

Any help is appreciated

Rides
    S14 hubs have a larger bolt size between the hub and the shock, if someone has drilled out your S13 struts or fitted a sleave for the bolt that'd be a sign you've got S14 front hubs.

The lower balljoint is different between the S13 and S14, people either fit S14 lower arms (which are slightly longer) or they press S14 balljoints into S13 lower arms.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    S14 hubs have a larger bolt size between the hub and the shock, if someone has drilled out your S13 struts or fitted a sleave for the bolt that'd be a sign you've got S14 front hubs.

The lower balljoint is different between the S13 and S14, people either fit S14 lower arms (which are slightly longer) or they press S14 balljoints into S13 lower arms.
    Was reading up on this, i think if i check the hub bolt size i should be OK, S13 is 30mm and S14 is 32mm. i agree checking the strut bolts on the knuckle could cause a error if they have been drilled out.

My strut bolts are 17mm which leads me to think its a s13 knuckle with conversion hubs. If the hub nut is 30mm id have to order another conversion hub i think for S13 to 5 Stud as a replacement

I think thats the only way without removing the full hub to determine if its s13 or s14 knuckles

Rides
    Done some measuring tonight

hub nut is 32mm which should be S14
    17mm nut size to strut should
    spindle at nut end itself measured 21mm

Does anyone know if the stock s13 front bearing has a cotter pin where the s14 doesnt?

Rides
    S13
    If it's an early one the brake dust plates will be for 258mm discs and would need cutting and bending like petals or the rim removed to fit decent 280mm brakes. As stock discs are 26mm, ZX/S14 30mm thick brake discs don't clear late back plate, the back plate has to be bent inboard to stop it rubbing.

S14 no cotter pin

Rides
    Thanks i think it could be s14 knuckles its a 97 180sx

I think it could be S14 knuckles but what i dont get is the 17mm bolts to the strut.. they should be 19mm at the head

Few pics anyway...i think as they dont have a split pin it must be a s14 spindle

Rides
    Can anyone confirm this is a S14 wheel bearing im 90% sure it is. spindle diameter at widest point on knuckle is 34mm