Thread: Strange off-timing

Rides

Strange off-timing

My SR(S14) is off-timing by about 4-5 marks on the crank pulley to the right (something like -35º). Everything is correct; chain, cas, tps, warm water, idle rpms. It does perform very well, though I can hear and feel how the ignition is not on point and some power is missing. If I put it on 15º, it runs like crap, complete misfire as soon as there is load. I will be adjusting by hand tomorrow and get it right but it's strange.

I have a horsham stage 3, does it mess with the base timing? What could it be?

Rides
    how are you timing it? I assume with a timing light and where are you taking the trigger from?

you say that it is off by 4-5marks and guess its -35deg but that doesn't sound right - the sr20 crank pully has 6 notches. if looking at it from the front, left to right you have 5 ATDC to 20 BTDC in 5 deg increments. You want to set it via a gun (ensuring you have no advance/retard dialled in on the gun if it has the capability) on the 5th mark from the left. that would be 15 BTDC.

the h-dev chips assume OEM base timing of 15deg BTDC

Rides
    Also watch out if your taking the timing signal via the service loop at the back of the engine - ive never had good success with this.
    Best to use a normal HT lead stuck into the bottom of coil 1 and use that to trigger your timing light.

Another point to consider is to ensure the engine is fully warmed up and if you can lock the ignition timing via consult so that the ECU is not changing the timing.

Ive always used consult to lock timing but I believe you can also enter test mode by warming up the engine to normal temp, shut it off, unplugging the TPS, turn engine back on, rev it a couple times above 2000rpm and let it settle to a stable idle.
    Last edited by s200rat; 06-04-2019 at 04:46.

Rides
    Have you got it the inhibition timing mode or are you just shining it on the crank pulley at idle ?

Rides
    I don't have the consult cable connected to the ecu yet, it's on my to-do list. No loop on the loom, I made it myself, I'm using the HT lead from coil to plug.

I've tried both with TPS connected and disconnected. I think when disconnected it's even further than connected.

When i say -35º I'm just judging by eye, there are no marks, but it's to get an idea.

Rides
    If it’s not in timing mode it probably will be in the 30-40 degree btdc

Rides
    Mmh I see, nothing to worry about then.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    If it’s not in timing mode it probably will be in the 30-40 degree btdc
    At idle with no load the ECU will be requesting the following timing so yep interpolate these cells and your in the range that's being seen.

Load = 7
    25deg @ 800rpm
    33deg @ 1200rpm

Load 13
    22deg @ 800rpm
    35deg @ 1200rpm

Rides
    Check the idle switch is closed. ECU will only run idle timing with this switch closed.

Get a dial gauge, find out where TDC is and mark it. Or get a bit of dowel and measure for 30mm (say) before and after TDC, mark both on pulley and TDC is 1/2 way between marks.