Thread: Couple of issues with CA

Rides

Question Couple of issues with CA

Hey guys,
    So I have a couple of issues I need your help with.

When I first got the car it was misfiring a little and it sounded like an industrial sewing machine, ticking super loud all the time. I replaced all the fluids in the car, put in new filters and new spark plugs and cleaned the coils - this fixed the misfiring, but the ticking continued. Had a garage replace all the lifters with new ones - now it only ticks on startup (still fairly loud) until about 5 minutes when the car warms up, after which it sounds normal and smooth. I'm using Castrol GTX 10w40. Any idea what it might be?

It also came with a manual boost controller and an improperly connected boost gauge
    I'm going to remove it and I wanted to know - is there something that's normally connected to this? It seems weird someone went to the trouble of making a plug here just to put a gauge in the wrong place lol

To return to stock boost, I just need to connect A and B together, right?

The CA is currently using waaay too much fuel, fuel consumption is horrible.
    I have a new O2 sensor I'm going to put in - hoping this with sacking the boost controller will sort it, going on the hunt for boost leaks if it doesn't.
    Last edited by boogie; 11-06-2021 at 16:20.

Rides
    Does the ticking sound like this...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f993m7xmqa...o%201.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Good heavens no, it's not knocking, just ticking. And it stops after it warms up, knocking would go on all the time, no?

Rides
    Well that's good lol. We know it's not the big end bearings then loool.

In terms of ur fueling. Would be worth checking ur coolant temp sensor is working correctly. My temp sensor was buggered at one point causing my car to over fuel like a dog.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Rides
    if they're properly brand new lifters, I'd say the oil - 10w40 is a bit thick at cold. I always used a 5w-40.

that'd fit with the fact that when it's warm it goes away. bear in mind they're a pain in the bum to bleed all the air out and from what I remember, it's the air that causes the noise - I keep my spares submerged in oil.

if you want to do reading about the hydraulic lifter tick, the VG30 from the Z32 and the RB25 all use the same lifter, the chaps in the Z32 boards in america have done a lot of write ups about them.

that boost gauge nipple - that's not the intake, that's the hotside of the input to the intercooler, so after turbo. I used to tee in for a boost controller there - doesn't see vacuum, only boost and it's before any boost leaks can happen, so you can't overboost when a joiner is loose. the gauge will show boost but no vacuum so it's not that helpful but it's not completely useless either.

check for boost leaks generally - if it's an OEM intercooler on there, get the left hand (driver side for you) arch liner out and make sure it's not leaking. they were bad for cracking when I had an OEM intercooler at 10 years old, can only imagine how bad they are now
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I thought about the cold thickness, but the manual says 5w should only be used on very cold climates so I'm confused.
    Guess I'll give it a go on next oil change, I'll try 5w40.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie View Post
    To return to stock boost, I just need to connect A and B together, right?
    Can anyone confirm there's no boost solenoid on a stock car and I can just connect the turbo to the actuator to return to stock boost?
    Last edited by boogie; 22-06-2021 at 14:03.

Rides
    you are ok to connect those bits together.

id always use 20/50 fully synth in my old CA so i doubt its a viscosity issue. probably have some air in them.