Thread: Kouki Taillights Wiring

Rides

Kouki Taillights Wiring

Hello, sorry if this has been covered but i couldn't find an answer.

I've ordered a set of kouki taillights for my s13 and i want to know how can i run 4 brake lights/stop lights. I don't care about fog lights i want to remove them completely.
    Can i just splice the wires from the outside lights and run both (outside+inside) on the same wire? or i will have a problem with amperage etc?

Rides
    Just ran the stock s13 lights wire to both kouki lights wires so 1 into 2

Same for brakes 1 into 2

And double down with thicker earth wire this is what I've done with no problems .

As for fogs light mot required for UK law I've got mine wired up so I can just place it into the reverse bulb slot as when needed .

Sent from my SM-T335 using Tapatalk

Rides
    thanks. should i run the earth from the previous fog light or get that 1 into 2 from the outer brake/stop light?
    thicker earth wire from where ? from where i cut the wires or replace the whole earth wire?

thanks!. i dont live in uk so i dont need fog lights :P

Rides
    Kouki plugs are different so will have splice them to the loom. Connect the 2 kouki earth to the 1 tail/brake earth same as the feeds.

Rides
    ok thanks for your help!

Rides
    It is technically possible to wire up a switch to alternate between 4 brake lights (for off-road use) and two brake+two fog (for road use... and MOT, obviously).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by aBoijj View Post
    It is technically possible to wire up a switch to alternate between 4 brake lights (for off-road use) and two brake+two fog (for road use... and MOT, obviously).
    Doesn't need a switch, 2 diodes and optional relay. Arsed if I can find the thread.

One diode stops the fog lamp tell tale on switch lighting up every time the brake is used.
    2nd diode stops the outer brake lamps lighting when fogs on.
    I think the relay was to switch off the inner tail lamps when fogs were on as that would be a 21+5W fog and might reduce bulb life as dual filament isn't supposed to be 100% duty.

As it was quad brake lamps were embarrassingly bright, road signs in rear view mirror were dazzling. 4 x 5w tails + 4 x 21w brake = 104 watts of rear light. That's close to 2 headlamps worth.

Typical 3 brake light at night will be 2 x 5W tail, 2 x 21W brake, 5/6 x 5W high level = 76/81 W. (3/4 of 2 headlamps)

Rides
    Interesting, would that pass an MOT with the operation of the fog lights changing the behaviour of the brake lights?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by aBoijj View Post
    Interesting, would that pass an MOT with the operation of the fog lights changing the behaviour of the brake lights?
    Didn't get any comments but that was 10 years ago.