Thread: S14A Brake Suggestion

Rides

S14A Brake Suggestion

Thinking of upgrading both front and rear brakes.

Fronts: R33 GTR (Or 350Z) Front Brake Kit.
    Rears: R33 GTST Rear Brake Kit + Handbrake Assembly.
    Z32 or R33 GTST master cylinder.

Will be used for street use 99.9999% of the time unless an unplanned track-day pops up and I have no other car available to me.

Main concern with this system; Will it be unstable under heavy braking with brembo's on the front but not back? How will the pedal feel with this set-up and one of those master cylinders.

Thanks for any advice.

Rides
    Got a bm57 brake master cyclinder and servo for sale, great upgrade if your changing callipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I personally think the stock brakes with a decent overhaul, new seals etc and a decent set of discs and pads are up to the job for street driving. A lot of people do like the 350z conversion but you do normally get a longer/spongier pedal without the correct master cylinder.

What are you finding is wrong with your current set up?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by phanos View Post

How will the pedal feel with this set-up and one of those master cylinders.
    I think this would be good for the road. The BM57 is almost certainly going to be needed, and will ensure the pedal doesn't feel spongey

Rides
    Black Diamond/Tarox Discs & DS2500 Pads

Rides
    Thinking of upgrading both front and rear brakes.

Will be used for street use 99.9999% of the time unless an unplanned track-day pops up and I have no other car available to me.

Main concern with this system; Will it be unstable under heavy braking with brembo's on the front but not back? How will the pedal feel with this set-up and one of those master cylinders.

Thanks for any advice.
    I had just the r33 gtr fronts without rears for many years before finding r33 gtr rears and it definitely was a good upgrade to have ( didn’t have uprated bm57 either). At the time used it on track /drift / and a town with many roundabouts so the standard brakes faded quite quickly. The car didn’t feel unstable but then again it could be because the car was nicely setup with Tein coil overs, all the adjustable arms, was properly aligned and good tyres.

I installed the rears and this was even better set-up but the pedal was definitely less responsive and spongy so now with the bm57 it has addressed this issue and the brakes are as good as I need and want.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREAMINSILVIA View Post
    I had just the r33 gtr fronts without rears for many years before finding r33 gtr rears and it definitely was a good upgrade to have ( didn’t have uprated bm57 either). At the time used it on track /drift / and a town with many roundabouts so the standard brakes faded quite quickly. The car didn’t feel unstable but then again it could be because the car was nicely setup with Tein coil overs, all the adjustable arms, was properly aligned and good tyres.

I installed the rears and this was even better set-up but the pedal was definitely less responsive and spongy so now with the bm57 it has addressed this issue and the brakes are as good as I need and want.

This is perfect thanks. Thinking of going GTR all around now too so help a lot! Will watch out for a BM57 cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    I think this would be good for the road. The BM57 is almost certainly going to be needed, and will ensure the pedal doesn't feel spongey
    Thank you, will be sure to get a BM57 along with the rest of the kit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvaughan180 View Post
    Got a bm57 brake master cyclinder and servo for sale, great upgrade if your changing callipers

Will most likely be getting a complete kit but if not, will PM you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    I personally think the stock brakes with a decent overhaul, new seals etc and a decent set of discs and pads are up to the job for street driving. A lot of people do like the 350z conversion but you do normally get a longer/spongier pedal without the correct master cylinder.

What are you finding is wrong with your current set up?
    I just have 0 confidence and have experienced many situations which back my lack of confidence up lol

Rides
    Will most likely be getting a complete kit but if not, will PM you
    No worries dude

Rides
    I just have 0 confidence and have experienced many situations which back my lack of confidence up lol
    That's fair enough, have you checked the condition of your current calipers though? Super common for the pistons in the front 4 pots to seize and the sliders/pistons on the rear calipers can get sticky too, only reason I swapped out to z32 front calipers on mine were my original ones were pretty seized. They are same size/fit as stock s14 in terms of pistons and disc/pads but also all alloy so a few kg's lighter and with up-rated discs and pads seems to stop my 300hp drift car no problem on the road.

Good luck either way.

Rides
    I went for 350z Brembo fronts and z32 rears with hand brake ect. I already had the braided hoses fitted.

Struggled with the standard brake set up on braided hoses and carbone lorraine pads after a few good stops they didn't work.

I had all the pistons done to make sure they were not binding and they were still shit.

I have found my current set up to be acceptable it stops faster than any other car I have owned, especially from 150 klicks + to be honest I haven't noticed the difference in the peddle feel as it's not my daily I probably adjusted without realising.

The only negetive I can mention is that every now and again the ABS seems to kick in too early this could be down to incorrect pad selection on my part and when I get them hot (numerous 150 klicks stops) the peddle can feel a bit floaty but they still work well.

My next step will be to try different pads or to disconnect the ABS.
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 26-03-2019 at 09:35.