Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt on the roads and your S Body

Rides

Salt on the roads and your S Body

Hey all,

just wondering who's brought their car out of winter hibernation already?

I am thinking of bringing mine out and have been monitoring the local highway twitter page to see when they send out the gritters.... looks like they've not been in action since the 24th of Feb around here. I just wish they stopped salting the roads and made people get winter tyres by law!

Only issue I have is my battery drains so quickly, left to its own devices, I'd say a week, 7 days and it'll be starting to die not sure if there's something draining the power but I'm going to need a new one I reckon as charging it might not work this year. Should disconnect it I know but I forgot this winter and when I remembered it was already dead

Sometimes I wish I was still using it as a daily! miss the damn thing over the winter
    Last edited by sx rider; 21-03-2019 at 09:00.

Rides
    i wanted to take mine out for april but the weather has been so unpredictable and i was sure we'd get another cold spell. so i moved it to may. i want to run it for 6 months so it fits with tax, so id rather have the october end of the year rather than the unreliable april. thats how i thought about it anyways.... i always think end of the year is a safer bet than the start. plus gives salt more time to go away lol.
    i take my battery out and leave in in the porch when car is asleep. have a wee charger aswell so i charge it fully before i store it and its perfect then when you take the car out. if something is then draining it fast i would investigate because thats annoying if its dead after 7 days
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Mine is a daily, no hibernation for me.

Rides
    Came out of hibernation early this month after going away start of November. Depends how protected your chassis is but roads are generally fine now

Rides
    just out of interest how are you lot starting your cars?

in previous years I've started mine at least once a month by priming the engine until oil light goes out, this year though its not been turned over since Sept last year.

I'm not quite sure priming is enough, once years ago i dropped a tiny amount of oil down the bores and cranked it by hand...not sure if this is over kill.
    Last edited by Hugh Janus; 21-03-2019 at 00:30.

Rides
    I think the roads down south should be fine now, there's been a fair bit of rain lately which probably has washed away the worst of the salt.

I just prime my engine before starting mine, I've heard about cranking it by hand but that sounds fairly technical and not sure if I'm up for that. Hopefully it won't be an issue?

Before I park mine up for the winter I do add more pressure to my tyres though, apparently this helps avoid flat spots.

Its a shame the car tax couldn't be done monthly as an option as I pay yearly and a chuck of that time its in the garage

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    I think the roads down south should be fine now, there's been a fair bit of rain lately which probably has washed away the worst of the salt.

I just prime my engine before starting mine, I've heard about cranking it by hand but that sounds fairly technical and not sure if I'm up for that. Hopefully it won't be an issue?

Before I park mine up for the winter I do add more pressure to my tyres though, apparently this helps avoid flat spots.

Its a shame the car tax couldn't be done monthly as an option as I pay yearly and a chuck of that time its in the garage
    Why can’t you pay monthly?

Rides
    What I mean is, tax it only for as many months as you need, e.g 8 months out of 12. Afaik you only can do 6 months or 12?

Rides
    What I mean is, tax it only for as many months as you need, e.g 8 months out of 12. Afaik you only can do 6 months or 12?
    Nope just tax for a year and pay monthly. When you’re SORN you don’t pay. Put it back on the road and you start paying again.

Rides
    ah right! that's awesome, didn't think of that. Thanks mate

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I’d of brought mine out of hibernation already but it’s currently blocked in the garage by a ka I’m attempting to learn to weld on, my track car which I’ve also got in bits and the daily
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Wimp's.... My Westfield been out since early Feb. Had some fresh morning runs lol, one where forgot my gloves. That was cold!
    I work on the principle that if it's rained a bit since the gritters have last been out and the road is dry there is nothing to worry about.
    Cars are expensive and especially so when they are just an ornament

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRORY View Post
    Wimp's.... My Westfield been out since early Feb. Had some fresh morning runs lol, one where forgot my gloves. That was cold!
    I work on the principle that if it's rained a bit since the gritters have last been out and the road is dry there is nothing to worry about.
    Cars are expensive and especially so when they are just an ornament

Even more so when they rot away to nothing

Rides
    turning the engine over by hand to try to prime it is a waste of time as you wont be able to turn it fast enough to get any sort of oil pressure. personally I would just fire it u[p and watch the oil pressure light/gauge if they have only been sat a few months.

Rides
    You could pull the fuel pump fuse or injector plugs, then crank it over on the starter until the oil pressure light go's out.

That should be enough to move some oil around the engine without putting any real load on it.

Rides
    Take the plugs out and take the fuse out for the fuel pump then turn it over. No compression loading on the bearing or pistons that way and it'll spin away at ~200rpm until the oil pressure is built up quite happily if it's been sat for a while.

Cars are to be used. Get it protected and keep on top of it and it'll be fine. As soon as I've stopped using my cars in the past they have always started giving me grief. Regular use and they have pretty much always been absolutely fine.

Rides
    Thanks for the advice guys, mine is definitely being driven today!

Rides
    Thanks for the advice guys, mine is definitely being driven today!
    Nice!

Rides
    My advice as a ex motorcycle mechanic seeing people ride bikes all year round come rain come shine to dry weather summer only bikes and having worked in the industry for many years were:
    the bikes ridden all year(I know not cars but it’s all metal and moving parts at the end of the day) even after one winters use we’re considerably Corroded and tarnished it don’t matter how much you wash them driving/riding to work parked up for say 8 hours then the commute home the salt and scum etches into the metal work. Even bikes we sold new come there first service at 600miles were shitted and pitted.
    bikes that are ridden in summer dry weather apart from the dust thrown up off the roads and the fly splatter were mint.
    Up to you what you want to do with them just thought I would say the pattern I’ve seen over the years

Rides
    That's really interesting to hear, and also fairly alarming! Didn't think the salt would damage things as quick as that!

Wouldn't surprise me if the government like using salt to make us need cars/bikes sooner, helps boost the economy at the end of the date this way!