Thread: oil next to turbo area and green goo from radiator piping! Help!

Rides

oil next to turbo area and green goo from radiator piping! Help!

Hello Ive recently noticed a significant drop in power on my s14a 1999, sr20det. this started a couple of months ago and now its progressively gotten worse.

Sometimes the turbo will spool without a problem and most of the time it does not want to play ball, if i hold the throttle down long enough expecting the turbo to kick in it makes a farting type noise out the exhaust, almost like its redlined itself.

I have a couple of pictures here which I would be greatfull if you were to take a look and try to diagnose a problem or what this could be down to, do i need a new turbo, can this be repaired and should I stop driving it?

https://imgur.com/a/U8mVKJM - Pics Here!

Also ive noticed there is a green muck like build up coming from the radiator piping on one side, what could this be caused by, could it all be related?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by notty View Post
    Hello Ive recently noticed a significant drop in power on my s14a 1999, sr20det. this started a couple of months ago and now its progressively gotten worse.

Sometimes the turbo will spool without a problem and most of the time it does not want to play ball, if i hold the throttle down long enough expecting the turbo to kick in it makes a farting type noise out the exhaust, almost like its redlined itself.

I have a couple of pictures here which I would be greatfull if you were to take a look and try to diagnose a problem or what this could be down to, do i need a new turbo, can this be repaired and should I stop driving it?

https://imgur.com/a/U8mVKJM - Pics Here!

Also ive noticed there is a green muck like build up coming from the radiator piping on one side, what could this be caused by, could it all be related?
    Your oily bits are common SR20 leak spots, and look fairly historical/mild, so don't worry about these too much as the timing cover and cylinder head will need removing to fix them! The 'Farty rev limiter' problem is probably due to a Bad coil pack, are they all original coils?
    From your description, it doesn't sound like the Turbo itself is your problem, its probably the boost causing the misfire on a weak spark.
    they're all fairly individual problems and not really related.

The coolant leak is also a minor thing but should be an easy fix with a new gasket and copper washer under the bleed screw.

I would probably check your engine breathers too as this can affect the oil leaks, then if they're all clear have a compression test done to test the overall engine health.
    Last edited by hooky; 08-04-2019 at 15:22.

Rides
    Okay I have read what you have said and I’ve checked the coils which seem to be in decent condition, however I checked the spark plugs and one out of the four seemed to be discoloured from the rest and have a bit of rust build up, could this be the culprit?

I’m going to replace this spark plug anyway.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Replace all the plugs not just one. When the coilpacks fail it’s an internal fault and not visible so no way to test if they are good without a spare.

Does the farty noise happen when you rev the car out of gear? Normally if a coilpack fails it’ll still Rev normally in neutral.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Okay Ive checked the Piping for boost leaks and I havent found anything that has caught my eye or even looks loose, everything is on quite tight, however I did remove the heatshield on the exhaust manifold and there looks to be more oil coming from the turbo area,

Here are some pictures which shows oil coming from the turbo area

https://imgur.com/a/o5F58cw

Rides
    You need to do a pressure test to find possible boost leaks.