Thread: ET20 on the front & scrub radius

Rides

ET20 on the front & scrub radius

After a very long time choosing some new wheels I decided on some JR12 I wanted a staggered set & they came in the perfect size (for me at least) of 17x8 ET33 & 17x9 ET25.
    However the fronts hit the caliper badly. I put my two 5mm spacers behind them but they still didn’t fit, they just about clear with 12mm spacers but guess 15 would be needed to be safe.

Looking at other threads it seems a few people are running 15mm spacers on the front with about an ET35 wheel, so unless my maths is wrong I think that makes them an ET20. My current wheels are 17x8 E35 I really want to stick with about the same ET so it didn’t affect the scrub radius too much, just to be on the safe side. But now I have the wheels I quite like them so am wondering what effect it had on handling running ET20 on the front. Does it make the car tramline or cause the steering wheel to pull when going over funny cambers in the road?

That’s with the 12mm spacer, it looks good!

Rear no spacer, where I wanted it, it should tuck in behind the arch lip under compression.

I didn’t really want the black centres but the gunmetal wasn’t available.

I can send them back & get something else, but I like the dish on these now & not much else has it...

Rides
    what size tyres are you planning on using? personally I would have got wider wheels.

Rides
    As above, it will come down to your tyre choice but they are quite weak wheel widths on their own. Your handling will be more a product of your alignment anyway.

Rides
    I was previously running ET25 17x9.5 Rota GTR-D all round with 225/40 tyres (not my choice, the previous owners) and it didn't seem to pull or tram line too much however it did rub on the arch liner a little bit on full lock.

Rides
    I don’t like stretched tires + you only have to look at a curb & you have scuffed them! I’ll be running 225/45 & 245/40 (maybe 255) on the 17s, week maybe, but it’s personal choice

I have spent a long time getting it all set up how I like it, with the usual adjustable arms, role centre correcting ball joints, longer track rod ends etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hayell View Post
    I was previously running ET25 17x9.5 Rota GTR-D all round with 225/40 tyres (not my choice, the previous owners) and it didn't seem to pull or tram line too much however it did rub on the arch liner a little bit on full lock.
    Thanks, I did wonder about the arch liners too.

Increasing the positive scrub radius will increase the amount of feed back & kick back but it very hard to tell till you try it!

The trouble is I think I have to cut my current studs down to fit the 15mm spacers that have they own studs in?

Rides
    How did they fit in the end I've just made the same boo boo
    But want to keep the tyres 225 45 17