Thread: S13 CA18DET won’t start

Rides

S13 CA18DET won’t start

Hi everyone, I’ve recently bought an S13 200sx that won’t start (terrible idea, I know) Ive checked the spark plugs and they do spark when I crank the engine and I can see fuel vapour leaving the engine through the spark plug hole. If the engine is getting fuel, air and spark what else could be stopping it from starting? I’m a newbie to CA18s.
    The previous owner said that the car had been spluttering when accelerating normally and had been getting worse over the past few weeks before I bought the car.
    Any help will be appreciated

Rides
    Check compression. If that's OK, check ignition timing.

Rides
    And check for vac leaks, try with the maf unplugged

Rides
    I’ve done the compression test and all cylinders were way too low. Cylinder 1 - 110psi. Cylinder 2 - 50psi. Cylinder 3 - 50psi. Cylinder 4 - 70psi. The previous owner said that the engine was rebuilt with forged pistons before he bought it. Would it be safe to assume the piston rings have gone? I wasn’t able to do the test with oil as I didn’t have any with me.

Rides
    Not necessarily, it could be bad valves/seats.

Rides
    Did you test with wide open throttle? And fuel pump fuse out?

Teaspoon of oil down each bore (wet test) could give more of an idea!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbiss View Post
    I’ve done the compression test and all cylinders were way too low. Cylinder 1 - 110psi. Cylinder 2 - 50psi. Cylinder 3 - 50psi. Cylinder 4 - 70psi. The previous owner said that the engine was rebuilt with forged pistons before he bought it. Would it be safe to assume the piston rings have gone? I wasn’t able to do the test with oil as I didn’t have any with me.
    I wouldn't assume rings from that as it could just as easily be blown head gasket, worn valves etc but, TBH, at any rate, that engine is coming out and being stripped regardless of the cause.

I also wouldn't assume it'll have forged pistons in it either

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I wouldn't assume rings from that as it could just as easily be blown head gasket, worn valves etc but, TBH, at any rate, that engine is coming out and being stripped regardless of the cause.

I also wouldn't assume it'll have forged pistons in it either
    This

Rides
    Justify a compression test again to double check, cylinders 1 + 2 got 100psi and 3 + 4 got 130psi. I also checked the timing and all the markings line up so that’s okay. The last thing I tried was to disconnect the MAF sensor and that made it splitter once when cranking and then nothing else after.

Rides
    Do you hear the fuel pump prime? I know you say it's getting fuel but perha0s not enough pressure.

A ca will start with 100psi compression.

If pump is good try removing fuel pump fuse and crank to see if it splutters.

What (if any) mods does it have?

Check all pipework, clamps etc as a big leak could prevent start also if oem wingmount intercooler I'd check this too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Check the wiring for the fuel pump.

Your compression readings suggest that the inlet valves have worn but, as said above, with 100 psi, it should still start unless you've flooded it.

Rides
    I can hear the fuel pump priming, the car has a walbro 255 pump. S14 turbo. 300zx MAF (i think). 550cc injectors.

Rides
    I can hear the fuel pump priming, the car has a walbro 255 pump. S14 turbo. 300zx MAF (i think). 550cc injectors.
    'Pull the pump fuse and crank to see if it splutters.

Middle 10a fuse in engine bay fuse box

And ideally pressure test all pipework from filter to turbo and turbo (inc intercooler) to throttle body.

I'd imagine they are 444 injectors if running stg3 chip

Rides
    That's a bit of an unlikely combo unless someone's pulled a bigger turbo off it and sold it separately.

Get some pics of the bits n bobs and we can identify them for you.

Rides
    When pulling the fuse, crank it by turning key though window. Be ready to put the fuse back in before it runs out of fuel if it fires up .

S14 turbo, 300zx MAF should be Horsham Developments "Stage 3" and should have 440cc injectors. Open the ECU and see what label on chip says.

Spluttering under acceleration is more likely to be something fouling the plugs. Like oil from a worn out turbo. If you get it running, try a grade hotter. Also do a high idle test ~3000 rpm and check for blue smoke.

Rides
    Okay so I put the engine covers and the CAS back on after checking the timing and now the car starts and runs, it’s spluttering and not running as it should be. When I hold the engine at 3,000 rpm I do see blue smoke from the exhaust.

Rides
    Okay so I put the engine covers and the CAS back on after checking the timing and now the car starts and runs, it’s spluttering and not running as it should be. When I hold the engine at 3,000 rpm I do see blue smoke from the exhaust.
    I'd pressure test all pipework for boost / vac leaks

It may of started because it "was" flooded.

Rides
    For that setup you need a custom map. Still check the voltage in the fuel pump wiring (even if it is priming).

If the voltage is right, then I'm going to guess worn inlets.

If so, follow the process for starting after flooding and when it is running, check the vac reading at idle. It should be -18 in/Hg. If its less than that, that points to worn inlet valves.

Rides
    I had similar proplem would fired up 9/10 time and when it did fire up on the odd occasion it splutters like brrrraaapp skibbydid pap pap tried everything nearly a year went by replacing all sorts and after almost giving up and partig her out I was leaning under the bonnet ask my mate to try cranking her up one last time I felt a strange shock and burning on my right hand then BOOM! Found my problem it's was my jecs plug located around the wheel arch of the right side of my engine ..... Unplug it and borrow one of another CA and try it you never know! ��