Thread: Welder

Rides

Welder

Anybody can recommend someone decent with a welder and has experience in repairing sills on s14? If so and can carry out work please let me know. Can discuss details via pm if you like. I’m based in Hertford so someone local would be great

Rides
    Buy a mig, mask, gloves, jacket. Jump on migwelding.co.uk.

Do it yourself. I was in exactly the same predicament 3 years ago. Check out my project thread.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Crazy- been looking through several threads- would love to give it all a go to do all major welding and also nip any surface rust in the bud now but no garage / space. Cars on side of a road not ideal. Cheers for your response. I may have to hire a garage and do it myself if some quotes come back too much!

Rides
    Nick @ absolute customs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks Peg- Just contacted him via web. I got some replacement sills made by Finishing Touch, so should easier for someone to cut out the bad bits and just weld in new sections. Hopefully not too far gone internally, but fingers crossed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    Crazy- been looking through several threads- would love to give it all a go to do all major welding and also nip any surface rust in the bud now but no garage / space. Cars on side of a road not ideal. Cheers for your response. I may have to hire a garage and do it myself if some quotes come back too much!
    Fair enough bud. It was hard work on my drive way. Wouldn't want to be doing it on the side of the road.

Rides
    The predicament I had was that the people who would do it properly were charging thousands.

Just make sure that whoever does do it cuts out all of the rot and doesn't just stick the new sills on top of rotten inner sills.

Rides
    Crazy- Will ask Nick and whoever else this question as I want the eliminate all rot. My cars a keeper so don't want it to return.

Rides
    Hi there.

Sometimes you have to travel to get work carried out to a specific Quality.

I'm in the Jap car restoration field and focus only on Skyline GTRs, they are unfortunate to rot in box sections and Sills, 33/34 shocker tops

There's many ways of removing Rot. It all comes down to a few things.. Time and Money....

PM me (if possible, with a contact number) if you'd want to discuss anything further.

Regards

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    Thanks Peg- Just contacted him via web. I got some replacement sills made by Finishing Touch, so should easier for someone to cut out the bad bits and just weld in new sections. Hopefully not too far gone internally, but fingers crossed.
    No worries dude
    Nick is very good at what he does .
    He is currently replacing the whole front end /engine bay of my s15 with custom panels .
    I use him for customers cars at my shop for a range of things from roll cages & resto work up to tig welding on classic Porsche’s .
    His prices aren’t extortionate either , hopefully he can help you out buddy mention Chris at big bear kustoms if he asks where you heard from best of luck with it dude

Rides
    Cheers guys for your responses. Been hectic so haven’t touched base on here for a while. I found a company not far from me and after a good discussion left it with them on Saturday. They have made good solid progress on the car and been updating me on the issues when exposed and showed me the extent of the rot. They have cut out all the rust back to good metal and rebuilt the inner sills and rear floor. The outer sill sections have been welded on now. Seems they have done a proper job in rescuing the sills and are now addressing the surface rust around the rest of the car. All in all very impressed with the service I’m getting. I will go this weekend to check. The way they are going it may all be completed!!

Rides
    Sounds good bud. Did you get any pics of each stage?

Rides
    The guy took a few. Wanted more but it wasn’t as bad as I thought I would be, much of it was surface rust- so believe caught it in time before it got too rotten.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREAMINSILVIA View Post
    The guy took a few. Wanted more but it wasn’t as bad as I thought It would be, much of it was surface rust- so believe caught it in time before it got too rotten.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SCREAMINSILVIA View Post
    The guy took a few. Wanted more but it wasn’t as bad as I thought I would be, much of it was surface rust- so believe caught it in time before it got too rotten.

Sounds good then. Probably a bit like mine.. not too far gone like some.