Thread: Brembo caliper painting

Rides

Brembo caliper painting

Has anyone repainted brembo’s before or got them powdercoated? Im fitting 350z rears to my 14 but want them red not gold. They have some damage to the paint on the visible face so will needs sanding back smooth probably bare metal and then what? I ordered sone spray but am i better off powder coating them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I've no experience with Brembos for a 350z but bike Brembos that are alloy are usually anodised rather than painted. I think you will struggle to get anyone to anodise them. I tried a few places and they didn't want to know.

If you get them powdercoated, the coater will blast them back to bare metal, just make sure you provide old bolts and old pistons for them to protect the threads with.
    You will need to scrap the bolts and pistons afterwards as the blasting is quite aggressive. Alternatively, you can make masks using masking tape and old seals instead of old pistons.
    I had my pig-iron s14 fronts and s13 rears powdercoated and the finish was brilliant and so easy to keep clean.
    However, the coater wasn't very happy about doing it and wouldn't guarantee the work because (he said) the metal absorbs brake fluid and that can lead to bubbling.
    I had my fronts on for over 10 years and they were perfect though so you pays your money and takes your chance.

If you paint them, I have used Halfords caliper paint in the past direct to warm, dry, bare pig-iron and got good results. When I've tried to use other paints with undercoats etc., its been a lot of work and turned into a disaster with brake fluid lifting the paint.

Rides
    Thanks Johnny, i have the facility at work to Anodise but these are deffo painted as it too thick to be Anodise. There is a powder coater near my work so i can ask and see what they say.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I know someone who’s had their front brembos painted, believe they were stripped and painted with normal body paint.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I painted mine with base and clear but i used epoxy primer over the bare metal

Rides
    I would just key up the surface/ sand any damage out and paint with vht primer and then their engine enamel. It seems the best quality stuff for a reasonable price

Rides
    Unless you have the facility to bake them, I think you will have problems with brake fluid lifting the paint if you use regular or VHT paint.

Rides
    Ive decided to Powdercoat them after speaking with a coaters. They have done lots with no issues. They have bungs for the seal holes etc when blasting. Loos like RAL3003 Ruby red is the closest to Brembo red.

Rides

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Sounds good Jon. Have you mocked them up yet? Take much to get them to fit?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides

Brembo caliper painting

You can buy brackets to run 370z rears so could do that but thats far too easy for me they do fit just need to make a wooden template to get sizes

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Fair enough. I keep meaning to improve the bracket for my front willwoods as I’m sure it flexes currently but struggle with effort

Rides
    Not breaking effort but general motivation? Hopefully they turn out the same colour as the fronts!