Thread: Vw oil..... ??

Rides

Vw oil..... ??

Evening all knowing source of information that is the SXOC.

Can anyone assist me with some actual knowledge regarding oil for my r5 touareg....

The VW forums I have read seem to revolve around people not wanting to deviate from the owners manual, but other websites say it's ok...

The correct oil for my car is apparently vw506.1spec... which is hideously expensive and seemingly impossible to obtain on any trade account I can use for under £50 a can "special order"

But some websites (including the Opie oils) say that the vw507 spec can be used...

Now there is a lot of literature on line to show that the 507 out performed the 506.1 in every way, yet there is a good 50% of sites which state DO NOT USE in the r5 and v10 tdi touareg. Specifically naming that car... but they all seem to be 5+ yrs old posts.

Has the spec had a update so it can be used? Am I just being paranoid, after all my s14 was thrashed non stop on Halfords green bottle for 6yrs with no I'll effects.

It's a genuinely nice motor in outstanding Nick tho, and I would like to keep it that way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I work at a garage and we do a lot of work for a prestige car dealer servicing Porche/Volkswagen/BMW etc. We would run that on 5w30 longlife III which is the 507 spec I am 99% sure. There are older versions of the longlife oil though which the other forums may be talking about.

Good luck,

Dan

Rides
    Yes you can use the VW507.00 in place of the 506.01. The 506.01 was the longlife oil for pd engines before the dpf's were introduced, once they came on the scene the VW507.00 was brought into action and from that point on the R5 was recommended 507.00. Looking at the specs for both oils, the 507.00 covers the 506.01 in every way.

Cheers,

Guy
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Rides
    Cheers for the replys.....

So as I suspected the pre 2006 r5 warnings are internet hype and 507 is fine.

I gave been assured by our mechanics at work that the VW main dealers wouldn't give it any special treatment and it would get whatever barrel is open in the workshop.

Getting the 1500 mile to go service warning at the min, so I'll order a Opie service kit next month

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk