Thread: Rear fog light not working

Rides

Rear fog light not working

Hi, im having some trouble getting my rear fog light to light up on my S14a. Didnt pass Norway's equivalent MOT because of it, so need to get it working somehow.

Changed bulb.
    Connector in car lights up when pressed.
    Tried with car running, igntion on/off, parking or low beam on at same time.
    Checked ground and swapped around fuses.

My guess is something to do with the wiring itself, bulb connector or relay(s).

If it matters the map light, rear windscreen washer and rear wiper does not work either.

Any tips or help is greatly appriciated, thanks!

I have a multimeter available, but never used one. Can get a friend to help me sometime next week, but if I can sort this sooner that would be best.

Rides
    It might be possible to swap the rear fog relay with another relay to see if that fixes it. I don't have an S14 but a lot of cars have relays that are the same as other relays if that makes sense.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    It might be possible to swap the rear fog relay with another relay to see if that fixes it. I don't have an S14 but a lot of cars have relays that are the same as other relays if that makes sense.
    Will have to give that a try to at least make sure it's not the relay. Cheers

Rides
    Tried swapping around relays with no luck. There is only one relay in the engine bay and one in the car that I didnt get to swap around. Bought the wrong one for the engine bay, and not sure what the one in the interior is for.

Not sure what the brown one is, only one I didnt get to swap around. But dont think it has anything to do with the rear fog. My diagram on the lid doesnt say what the relays are for.

The black relay here I didnt get to swap around either, according to another forum post this is one that I should swap. But would be nice to get a confirmation of what it does as I do not have the diagram for it. Every diagram I find is different so hard to say what it does.

Begin to think I just need to hardwire the fogs to get done with it

Rides
    Found this description in the workshop manual, anyone know where that fusible link is suppose to be located and the 20A fuse?

Rides
    Trace the 12v supply from the fuse described above,then to the relevant relay then to the fog light,if you have 12v in to the relay and nothing coming out you need a new one if dont have 12v at the relay but have 12v out of the fuse there is a fault on the wiring.

The manual used to be on here, and I think it had a complete wiring diagram don't get time to come on here much,see if one of the regulars will post a link.

With the wiring diagram as a reference it should be a simple process of elimination

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    Trace the 12v supply from the fuse described above,then to the relevant relay then to the fog light,if you have 12v in to the relay and nothing coming out you need a new one if dont have 12v at the relay but have 12v out of the fuse there is a fault on the wiring.

The manual used to be on here, and I think it had a complete wiring diagram don't get time to come on here much,see if one of the regulars will post a link.

With the wiring diagram as a reference it should be a simple process of elimination
    Ive managed to swap around all the relays except the black one in the engine bay, but believe that one is for the horn so doesnt matter.

Yeah ive seen the wiring diagram, suppose to be a 20A fuse between the battery and switch, but I only got one 20A fuse in the fuse box and its not for the rear fog light. Also says something about a fusible link, but no idea where that is located. I think its the switch that faulty though, but cant be bothered to try and figure it out. Found something that says I might be able to just remove the button and pass the MOT, so going to try that.
    Last edited by konlar; 10-03-2019 at 18:07.

Rides