Thread: Running rough on boost

Rides

Running rough on boost

It’s been sat for 2 or 3 years just getting occasional started up to try & keep the engine lubed, I just got it back on the road today. It passed the MOT fine it’s running very well off boost.

It seems a bit like its dropping to 3 cylinders under boost so I’ll check the coil packs and plugs. I haven’t touched anything on the engine since it was last on the road & it was running ok then.

The only issue I found when it when last on the road (after fitting a gizmo boost controler) was it running a bit rough at standard boost level, but it used to run very well at 15 / 16 psi. It’s still making that boost fine but coughing badly when doing it now.

Any suggestions other than plugs while I go & check them?

Rides
    I put my original standard NGK plugs back in & it’s running very well on boost now (my daughter said it made her face go all funny & gave her a tingly feeling inside!)

These are the ones I took out, I think they are a warmer grade to these I was running:

One of those is darker, so maybe that cylinder wasn’t firing properly under boost. I guess I’ll try sticking those back to see if it was just a bad connection on the coils or if I need new plugs. I assume it better to keep with the colder plugs on stage 1a?

Rides
    I had a stage 3a 14a that I bought the recommended grade of plug but in the denso brand and it was missing at peak boost about 5k. it was Alright for a bit but then played up.
    Some helpful chap said he had probs with denso's and suggested NGK and my problem dissapeared. Seems it could be similar here bud.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRORY View Post
    I had a stage 3a 14a that I bought the recommended grade of plug but in the denso brand and it was missing at peak boost about 5k. it was Alright for a bit but then played up.
    Some helpful chap said he had probs with denso's and suggested NGK and my problem dissapeared. Seems it could be similar here bud.
    Ah, very interesting, thanks! Yes it does sound similar it didn’t ever feel quite right before on my Denso’s sometimes it seemed to run better than others. I think maybe the problem became more apparent after getting the Gizzmo (so I could change the bost pressure). I’ll need to go out & test it again with the original NGKs then, without the kids in the car & when the weather is a bit better!

Did you find your correct grade of NGK plug? Anyone know what that would be for a stage 1a?

Rides
    You'll want grade 7 plugs for stage 1a

Go for the copper NGK and set the gap yourself with feeler gauges, you want 0.7-0.9 mm usually.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    You'll want grade 7 plugs for stage 1a

Go for the copper NGK and set the gap yourself with feeler gauges, you want 0.7-0.9 mm usually.

Ah perfect thanks very much, plug gaps too can’t ask for more

I’ll get some & report back

Rides
    I put some NGK BKR7E (copper) plugs in & it runs very nicely at all boost levels now. Although it is a bit boring running at anything less than 16psi on stage 1a!