Thread: Garrett G25-550

Rides

Garrett G25-550

Im seriously considering buying a Garrett g25-550 for my redtop sr20 det , anyone using one of these at the moment that could give me some info before I buy ?

Rides
    No info, but I'm seriously considering buying G25-660 so I'm interested in hearing abouy anyone using either one of these.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I’ve been looking at the 550, all I’ve seen of them are on you tubers cars in the states though.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Im the same, only seen the ones on youtube think monkey London has g25-550 this car looks good I think its got 430bhp with this turbo . Im looking for 400hp at the flywheel with a quick spool up .
    Last edited by ekjim; 03-02-2019 at 19:07.

Rides
    They'll deliver some impressive numbers but for spool I'm not convinced. MAR is denser than regular inconel which means higher inertia which means worse spool (in terms of nailing it from an engine speed, not necessarily dyno numbers). The only benefit it really brings to the table is that it's more stable at higher temperatures (think 1000°C plus) and that is largely what you're paying for. Arguably the turbine being smaller should offset some of the inertia increase but there is a large disparity between the turbine and compressor wheel sizes that tends to hurt overall efficiency. The compressors are pretty spectacular all things considered though.

I was interested in seeing how these got on but some more learning since and a healthy wariness of turbo suppliers (I've seen things man...) I'm more skeptical now especially given the price of them.

Rides
    I currently run a Garrett t34 with a 63 ex housing this makes 300rwhp , its a Cosworth journal bearing turbo . I thought this would be a upgrade . Ive bought my wastegate from Turbo dynamics and was thinking of using them .
    Last edited by ekjim; 04-02-2019 at 21:50.

Rides
    Might consider something along the lines of an EFR 7163 for the sort of numbers you're after. Twin scroll for response of course. Don't go wild on cam duration either or you'll just make it spool later but harder.

Rides
    the 7163 is the turbo I was going to get but my world turned upside down. I did some solid research and it did look like it was going to be an absolute animal on an SR20. I was going to go T4 flange internal gate and it was about £1600.

Rides
    Hope everything is okay green - rs13 , could you tell me more about the 7163 and where you were going to buy from ?

Rides
    yeah im sound, just had to 'realign' my finances and not throw more money at a car that will never be worth more than 10G. I just found the quote off turbo performance and it was £1326 for a 7163 T4 .80AR internally gated. but that would have been well over a year/ maybe 2 ago. just be wary as lots of places will advertise them without the rear housing.

Ive not got any evidence or proof as it was ages ago and I wrote it all down on paper. I did initially look into getting a 6758 as I was only pushing for 400 odd but calculated the 7163 would come on song sooner and not run out of puff higher up so it was a no brainer.

the driftworks S15 has a different BorgWarner and I think that's well over 500hp but I think I remember calculating the 7163 would outperform it in one way or another.

I did mention it a fair bit on here so you could probably find it fairly easy. my computer is knackered so the search don't work for me. (I don't know how that works but it just does.none of my emojis work either and it never stays logged in hahaha).

Rides
    Thanks I need to do a bit more research now .