Thread: S13 CA18DET oil cooler

Rides

Arrow S13 CA18DET oil cooler

Hi, I would like to replace my current old oil cooler full of metal chippings from old engine. reason is that I don't want to get these metal chippings back in new engine once oil pressure goes up.

I tried to look for aftermarket replacements, in Nissan dealer they told me astronomical price (don't remember exactly but it was something around £1000 ). I tried google, different forums, suppliers.. Do I have to ask someone to make one custom for me? Or anyone here has any ideas? I would greatly appreciate that!

I also bought two used, but they were the same as mine.
    Few photos attached (sorry for terrible quality) to make sure we talk about the same thing

Rides
    Why not open it and clean it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Have you done it? Because I don't think it is possible to clean properly..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pepino View Post
    Have you done it? Because I don't think it is possible to clean properly..
    No but the top comes apart so I don’t see why you couldn’t put it into an ultrasonic cleaner or parts washer to flush it through.

That’s what I’ll be doing

Rides
    Should be possible to clean it, alternatively there are aftermarket parts to delete the heat exchanger completely.

Rides
    Thank you for your advice guys. I will rather go for new/aftermarket parts which will supply the same functionality. I don't think you can clean it to be 100% sure no mess there. Could you send some links for those aftermarket parts?
    Thanks

Rides
    Needs a different water hose set up.
    https://www.autodoc.co.uk/nrf/952931...BoCK-gQAvD_BwE

first one i found that mounted on a filter housing, there may be others that will suit better.

Rides
    jap spec engines don't even have those heat exchangers.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    jap spec engines don't even have those heat exchangers.
    True. Water/oil heat exchanger was a very expensive JDM Nismo option for 180SX but is slightly different.

Jap spec engines have a 112 mph limiter. Can't take them on A-bahn and sit at 130 mph till the tank is empty.

We didn't get octane detecting ECU that limits boost to 6 psi on low octane fuel.
    We didn't get 4 throttle butterfly's that open at 3200 rpm.

but they spent money on oil coolers. As do many other OEM on performance engines for European use. Citroen BX GTi 16v had one (not a turbo), would a cheap car company like Citroen go to the expense of fitting one just for the hell of it?

Rides
    most peoples old nissans are far from standard so what Nissan decided to fit or not to fit in the 1890's is a bit irrelevant.

if your doing fast driving/track work you can fit an external oil cooler and put a sandwich plate in the place of that thing. use its cap ontop of the sandwich plate. or just bin it off and put its cap directly onto the body.

ive flushed them out before by just soaking them in solvent then jet washing them through. then blow them through with an air line.
    Last edited by green_rs13; 18-01-2019 at 07:41.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Needs a different water hose set up.
    https://www.autodoc.co.uk/nrf/952931...BoCK-gQAvD_BwE

first one i found that mounted on a filter housing, there may be others that will suit better.
    I had a lot of problems dealing with autodoc who, btw, are not a UK company. They just have a .co.uk page on their website.

Took my money, didn't send the parts, didn't want to give a refund but a credit note instead, spammed my email address and had fraudulent transactions against the credit card soon after.

Just saying.

Rides
    I always thought that this was a jap spec cooler, it has a different hose size and the pipe on the engine is also different size. http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...k/Image569.jpg

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by polcastrol View Post
    I always thought that this was a jap spec cooler, it has a different hose size and the pipe on the engine is also different size. http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...k/Image569.jpg
    Some jap spec engines do have a cooler, my jap spec one had the exact same cooler as on the pic above along with the 8 port head.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by polcastrol View Post
    That's what the Nismo one looks like.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    That's what the Nismo one looks like.
    Theres a nismo one? Any difference over stock other than appearance?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post
    Theres a nismo one? Any difference over stock other than appearance?
    Price! Nismo tax.

Had a look on FAST, the round one is JDM factory fit on 180SX but may have been an option. It's smaller than UK/Euro cooler as the pipes come out the top.

UK Nissan Sunny ZX N13 hatch and B12 coupe with CA16/18DE also have oil cooler, looks like UK turbo one but both water pipes come out same side.

The housing that mounts the cooler and filter is common to a lot of CA engined cars.