Thread: s13 running issue inc video

Rides

s13 running issue inc video

Hey all, car hasn't been driven for a month but has been under cover. Took it out for a long drive today and it isn't running good at all :-( at first it was ok but wouldn't boost, so figured it might be the actuator sticking. got it home and manually moved the arm and applied a little lube, took it back out and still the same issue but started to free up a little however the 13 isn't pulling well, its holding back a lot and sounds rough. on idle it is very lumpy- video attached. don't judge me for the engine bay, its the next thing to overhaul on the car :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCEL82RlWTU

Rides
    It's definitely misfiring. It also sounds tappy but that's probably the lifters sticking with lack of use, they are probably fine. Was it OK last time you drove it?
    I think you could check the fuel to make sure it's not rusty from the tank. Pull the pipe of the filter, see what comes out. Have you got an ignition timing light? You could check the timing, if it's bouncing around the CAS splines could be worn. It could also be a boost leak.

Rides
    It drove spot on a month ago and idled perfectly. The fuel was low so i stuck 20 squid in it at the start of my drive . Did a 10 mile trip starting off gently and occasionally trying to come on boost but it it keeps holding back, i think it feels like it's firing on 3 tbh. I did try and give it the full beans a couple of times but it just didn't pull and you can hear it holding off. Im going to try and remove the coil packs tomorrow to see if there duff. But i will also check the fuel just in case. I don't have a timing light but will buy. Cheers and will update tomorrow

Rides
    it sounds similar to what I've just come across on mine, have a look on my misfire thread as the guys on there have gone through bits to check without rewriting everything.
    all in all, sounds like it misfiring so check plugs, unplug coil packs until the engine note changes, check injectors as one might be stuck etc. also check your vacuum lines for splits etc

Rides
    Ok, had the car idling for a while now and it was ticking over quite nicely for a few minutes. Pulled the throttle a little and then it started messing around (very lumpy as though firimg on 3) unplugged the afm and the car stalled so that seems fine, then started unplugging the coil packs . 1st,2nd and 4th fine then the 3rd made no difference at all so the 3rd is obviously the problem. Switched the 4th for the 3rd and now everthing seems sweet. Confused !!! Took it out for a run and is now boosting nearly perfectly, a couple of boggy moments but it seems nearly perfect. Is it possible that the coil pack is temperamental? Also to note is that whem the car was firimg on 3 it smelt very fuely but I'm assuming this is because it wasnt burning the fuel? Thanks guys for all the help as well

Rides
    Sounds like you probably need a coil pack then, possibly worth doing all 4.

Rides
    Yep. I'll start there matey, any recommendations?

Rides
    I don't know, I've never had to buy any. I'd go with second hand set from someone on here or try local motor factors?

Rides
    Could be oil fouling. If you have used a hotter grade of plug they run cooler and will foul easier. Try stock grade plugs.

Hold motor at fast idle ~2K rpm, check for smoke. One way valve can't mask it at this speed. Swap turbo.