Thread: Transferring a Reg number- Inspection?

Rides

Transferring a Reg number- Inspection?

Anyone ever been required to have a car inspected by DVLA prior to a number transfer being approved?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LammyPie View Post
    Anyone ever been required to have a car inspected by DVLA prior to a number transfer being approved?
    Yeah I did a few years ago. Was just a case of taking it along to a VOSA test centre for them to check the chassis number matched the registration etc.

Rides
    A VIC type check??

They don't bother with those for insurance write-off's anymore, be strange if they demanded they were done for just a reg transfer.

Rides
    I remember when it was necessary for a car the plate was being removed from, had to have current tax and MoT (with some narrow exceptions allowed).

I understand the rules have slackened a bit in recent years, but if there is no existing tax and/or MoT, there has to be some other means of establishing the car actually exists, and has entitlement to the plate. Hence your DVSA/DVLA inspection today. I'm guessing the car in question does not have current MoT, because if it did, the process could be online and automated.