Thread: focus diesel eolys fluid

Rides

focus diesel eolys fluid

ive sadly got a 2008 1.6 diesel focus as a daily.

the EML light came on and gave me codes P2585 and P1922 which indicated the fuel additive tank was empty. so I bought some of the stupid fluid and filled the tank up, I used some software to tell it the tank is now full which it acknowledges then primed the system. But I still have the same codes showing and they wont clear.

I don't really know what to do next, it knows the tank is 100% full and I can hear the pump run when doing a system prime but it still shows the error codes.

im not a real car mechanic just a good amateur so this has me stumped, it says its empty but when you ask it its level it says its full..... what a stupid car..

Rides
    Something dodgy with the tank level sensor perhaps?

Rides
    from what I can gather it doesn't have a regular sender unit like in a fuel tank. it just has some kind of resistor mounted low inside the fluid tank that is cooled by the fluid so changes its values when its not submersed / cooled by the fluid (like the low level light thing inside an S13 tank).

I can read the live data and it knows its actually full and even acknowledges it. and ive told it that's it full. but it still throws the error code 1922 which is the level circuit.

initially I had the common knackered soldered joints in the dash cluster which brings up loads of random faults so I just dismissed these as silly buggers like the rest of them. the car only has 25K on it so figured it couldn't actually be empty. I only got about 0.7 litre in the tank.

Rides
    This is apparently the reset procedure

Ensure filler flap is closed, and ignition is in position 0

You have 60 seconds to complete stage 1 of the procedure, beggining when ignition is turned to position II

Stage 1

Turn ignition to position II
    open fuel flap, close fuel flap
    Turn ignition to position 0
    Stage 2 must be started within 60 seconds of igition being turned to position II in Stage 1

Stage 2

You have 10 seconds to complete the following

For Stage 3, wait a minimum of 15 seconds.. but no more than 30 seconds, anything over 30 seconds and you have to start again.. the window is 15-30 seconds.

Stage 3

Stage 4

Start engine, and run at idle for minimum of 20 seconds
    After 25 seconds, MIL or PCL light should illuminate, or message displayed on instrument cluster to indicate reset has been achieved
    Turn off engine, and move ignition to position 0
    Turn ignition to position II, no message, PCL/MIL light should no longer be illuminated
    If either are illuminated or message still displayed, try procedure again.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Who comes up with these ****ing stupid procedures?

Rides
    Cheers Mark but....That procedure only works if you top the fluid up before the light comes on to tell you to top the fluid up. ive tried it a few times with no joyful results. Once the light comes on it seems its a trip to the main dealer for most people, although I basically have Fords Edis.

today I though I would unplug the FACM ( fuel additive control module) to see what would happen. with it unplugged the car seems to run fine and doesn't throw the EML up on the dash. with it plugged back in the EML returns. So ive left it unplugged for now and will see how it drives to work tomorrow, it only takes 1 minuite to plug back in if it throws it into limp mode.

I poured a tiny amount of ELOYS fluid straight into the tank so at least its had a dose.

im tempted to just buy a FACM from a breaker that hasn't threw the code up and fit that.

Rides
    Might be a faulty module or sensor then. Have you tried a battery disconnect?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This is apparently the reset procedure

Ensure filler flap is closed, and ignition is in position 0

You have 60 seconds to complete stage 1 of the procedure, beggining when ignition is turned to position II

Stage 1

Turn ignition to position 0
    Stage 2 must be started within 60 seconds of igition being turned to position II in Stage 1

Stage 2

For Stage 3, wait a minimum of 15 seconds.. but no more than 30 seconds, anything over 30 seconds and you have to start again.. the window is 15-30 seconds.

Stage 3

Stage 4

Start engine, and run at idle for minimum of 20 seconds
    After 25 seconds, MIL or PCL light should illuminate, or message displayed on instrument cluster to indicate reset has been achieved
    Turn off engine, and move ignition to position 0
    Turn ignition to position II, no message, PCL/MIL light should no longer be illuminated
    If either are illuminated or message still displayed, try procedure again.

Is that to the tune of Hokey Cokey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtone View Post
    if it bring the price of fuel down Brown better be up a tree taking one up the arse
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Why?

If Dignitas gave you a discount for going early... would you?

Rides
    Hokey Cokey. lol

Rides
    I did try disconnecting the battery for 20 mins the other day but it didn't do anything. the FACM was left disconnected all of last night.

disconnecting the FACM has the car running ok but eventually threw up the actual orange EML light not the normal massive ENGINE MALFUNCTON that covers the entire screen section of the dash. plugging my code reader in gave me the fault codes, P2585, P2458, U0118 and P2584.

I then plugged the FACM back in and got the same codes as above but also P1922. I then reset all of them switched the engine on and the ENGINE MALFUNCTION came back on as per the original fault, code reader says P2585 and P1922 as per the original fault.

think im going to buy a secondhand FACM that's not in fault. I don't think its the sensors in the actual additive tank as when I read the levels it confirms it to be full.

I hope I don't have to end up fitting a new tank as it seems I would have to drop the rear subframe down to get the tank out.

Rides
    bought a new FACM plugged it in and the fault went off. started the car the next day to go to work and the ENGINE MALFUNCTION light came back on again. plugged it in and its the same codes p1922 and p2585.

thinking about it I didn't plug the laptop in and tell the FACM the additive tanks values.

I might try plugging it in again today and re-learning the new module. ive been using Forscan software but it don't seem to allow me to reset the FACM.