Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misfire after turbonoz chip

Rides

Misfire after turbonoz chip

So then the short story...
    I’ve installed nismo 555cc injectors which I had cleaned, serviced and flow checked.
    Also I’ve installed a Garrett GT2871r along with a tubular mani and an external Westgate so with the other supporting mods for stage 2 I have gone with the turbonoz Chip which I’ve installed myself.

Now on starting this newly installed setup I’ve now encountered a misfire (cylinder 3 to be exact)
    On close inspection of the ecu chipped setup everything seems fine (this isn’t my first rodeo)

Has anyone else encountered any issues with using these chips or anything I have missed which I should of done because mechanically everything looks spot on?

Rides
    Mechanical issue.

I’ve ran a turbonoz as long as I can remember with nothing but excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I see what your saying there but I’ve checked everything mechanically, just nothing on cylinder 3.
    Bloody annoying as hell!
    Did you install your own jay?
    I’ll take some pics of the ECU circuit board and pop them up on here

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ps13ben View Post
    I see what your saying there but I’ve checked everything mechanically, just nothing on cylinder 3.
    Bloody annoying as hell!
    Did you install your own jay?
    I’ll take some pics of the ECU circuit board and pop them up on here
    No issue with spark or anything? I used to have issues because of my coilpack loom ground not being too good. Cleaned it up and it was all good.

I’m running a CA, but had the ecu eprom socketed by my friend. Put the chip in myself. Usually if you do something wrong, the car wont run at all.

I guess you’ve checked compression and stuff?

Rides
    I could change out the spark plug on CYL 3 and see if that helps but all coil pack use the same ground so should be ok as the other cylinders would be messing around as well.

The SR has just recently had a rebuild of everything as was running sweet as before i changed out the injectors, turbo and installed the CHIP set.
    Id just feel better if i could prove it wasn't the ECU if you know what i mean.

below are the pics of the ECU, maybe another set of eyes on it will help
    IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg

Rides
    555's for stage 2?

Is it a custom chip

Rides
    Ignore me just realised your sr

Rides
    No worries

Rides
    spark plug gapping to accommodate the extra air in the cylinder?

Rides
    It’s misfiring on idle matey so should all be as standard at that point, I haven’t taken it for a drive because if it’s missing on idle then it’s probably going to be missing under normal driving conditions.
    So bloody annoying as I just want to test drive the thing...

Rides
    It’s misfiring on idle matey so should all be as standard at that point, I haven’t taken it for a drive because if it’s missing on idle then it’s probably going to be missing under normal driving conditions.
    So bloody annoying as I just want to test drive the thing...
    Tried swapping cyl 3 coilpack to another cylinder and seeing if that one misfires?

Rides
    That’s something I didn’t do because I ran out of time (had to wrap the wife’s presents with insulation tape before she got back).
    It will be one of my first jobs though when I get back down to the garage along with swapping plugs as well

Rides
    Try swapping the coil pack to see if the misfire follows it.
    Also double check the injector plugs. From what I’ve seen, 3 and 4 can be mixed up easily

My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    Thanks man, i have a list of things to head down there to try out once I'm allowed to leave the house.
    it also accused to me that i was moving a lot of bits about down by the ignitor so could of dislodged one of the cores that lead to coil pack 3

might push me to make a loom and move over to the newer R8/1.8TT coil packs....

Rides
    Does sound ignition related, I've had SR coils fail overnight for zero apparent reason too, which is why I went to VAG coils and never had an issue again! Would recommend doing this even if you sort the misfire, looms are super easy to make and the coils are much better than the 20-odd year old Nissan offerings.

Rides
    After trolling the mighty web it seems like your correct on the tired SR coils, even heard mixed reviews on the spitfire equivalents which cost a mint!
    i have 8 VAG coils and plugs laying around because i use them on the V8 so its a no brainer really, i just want to make sure its the coils that are causing the issue instead of a larger problem being that blooming ECU.

Rides
    After trolling the mighty web it seems like your correct on the tired SR coils, even heard mixed reviews on the spitfire equivalents which cost a mint!
    i have 8 VAG coils and plugs laying around because i use them on the V8 so its a no brainer really, i just want to make sure its the coils that are causing the issue instead of a larger problem being that blooming ECU.
    No brainer not to go VAG then! I’ve had a look at your ECU pics and everything seems good, you did a nice job soldering and I couldn’t spot any dry spots or anything so I highly doubt it’s ECU related.

Rides
    Well I guess it’s going to be a process of elimination, it just happens to land over the Xmas period when everyone is off so I can’t get the loom side plug for the coils and the plugs to bypass the igniter until the start of January. Bugger
    I could just go over the grounds to check they are all sounds in the mean time and just clean the engine bay more ha

Rides
    Long shot/ curve ball but if it's not the spark on 3 then could be injector? Not sure how robust they are but if something has knackered it between flow test and install the spray pattern could be off?

Rides
    Always fun fault finding XD as people have said:
    1:Check plugs and sockets on the coil packs, injectors, ECU pins/plugs and coil pack amp. Worth looking at grounding points too.
    2:Swap coils, see if it makes a difference and the problem travels with the coil pack
    3:If that doesn’t help then try swapping injectors.
    4: New plugs, check the spec is correct for your setup. Probably want NGK BKR7EIX but check correct for your setup, boost/power dependent
    Last edited by shikari chaos; 26-12-2018 at 19:41.