Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best all round daily?

Rides
    the sides of newer cars has to be higher to pass the side impact crash protection stuff. same with the front end for knocking over pedestrians.

I don't think you can get 3 teenagers in the back seats of an s13, teenagers are either 6 foot tall or 6 foot wide these days.

Rides
    They can make cars nowadays that are light(ish), look at the gt86 which is a decent attempt and my own Mk4 mx5 which is just a whisker over 1000k.
    Ok you will have to compromise of size but christ most cars on the market now are far to big in my opinion. Dropping weight doesn't need to mean dropping toys or safety if the manufacturer cares enough to put the effort in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    A question that has been pondering me for a while, but as most of us have a fun or track car, then what do you need from a daily.

Good to drive, all the comforts and toys, economical, reliable, lowish tax, estate preferable, towing useful, got to be decently quick.

Is there anything better than a 335d M Sport Touring Xdrive?

I've never seen a car tick so many boxes!
    Generally you hit the compromise between quick, economical, affordable and reliable.

Quick? Jag XFR wagon
    Comfort, sexy, affordable toys and sizeable? BMW 5-series v8 estate (540?, or something jap - the scooby wagon (old STI's are pretty tasty) or stagea
    Something not rwd but fits all the above boxes except for economical and sexy? You won't believe this but the latest Honda Legend - it's cheap, unbelievably comfortable, it can steer itself ffs - so more toys than you'll get from the Germans, it's more than quick enough. Absolutely honda's top-line offering, it's a shame its so pig ugly.

TBH though, and though it's not in your scope - out of the 60 or 70 cars I've had, I'd say the FINES daily I've ever had is the humble k11 micra. It's slow, ugly BUT surprisingly roomy (I've moved washers/freezers/telly's, christ I even fillled it up with giant boulders for my pond and took it up a 1 mile 50 degree incline.), but most importantly at no point did I care if I kerbed it, pranged it, crashed it - and never once did I worry about not reaching my destination! Out of 3 K11's I've had they ALL got me where I needed to be, no matter the distance, and if anything ever needed replaced it was 30 quid or less, and I could fit it in the hour..