Thread: Ca18det starter earth locations

Rides

Ca18det starter earth locations

Hi guys cars not starting not making any kind of noise from the starter has a new starter fitted and new battery and nothing could anyone tell me where the earth points in the engine bay are?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by s13m95 View Post
    Hi guys cars not starting not making any kind of noise from the starter has a new starter fitted and new battery and nothing could anyone tell me where the earth points in the engine bay are?
    Starter earths via being bolted onto the gearbox.

Theres a ground above the exhaust manifold to the fire wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    The main earth cable goes from inlet mani to battery tray. Have you checked the lives?

Rides
    The starter signal wire should also be fused. Check you haven’t blown a fuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    if you think your main earth cable is knackered just use a jump lead between the engine and the chassis to test it.

Rides
    Have you connected the positive to the solenoid

Rides
    The main earth strap is from manifold to battery tray and up to the battery -ve, can rot under the battery but that's just the car chassis ground. If you didn't have it connected and tried to crank it, that little bit of braid between the rear of the head above no4 exhaust port and bulkhead will have glowed red, then brightly white and turned to magic smoke. Then the coil pack earth and/or the alternator earth (bolts on back of alt with a suppressor cap) goes up in smoke which as they have flammable insulation and are bundled with other combustible wires will make a nice warm toasty car.

Gearbox and engine are rubber mounted. Prop centre bearing rubber isolated.... diff, subframe, shocks all rubber bushed.

Found a good earth and main live cable? Try a wire from battery +ve (an inline fuse 20A may be good to have) poke it in to the back of the solenoid 1/4" spade connector, it will make contact. If it cranks then its a fault in ignition switch circuit.

Does it have an alarm? Starter is primary circuit for immobiliser, fuel pump is usually 2nd (if you have 2 circuits). Look for the immobiliser relay, they usually "lost" it somewhere near the SMJ in the drivers side kick panel.