Thread: 180sx Keeps blowing ENG CONT fuse

Rides

180sx Keeps blowing ENG CONT fuse

ey guys,

Recently go another 180 and I'm having a few problems.

When I collected car I could hear clicking from under bonnet but I didnt think much of it (sounded like a relay). The car drove well for most of the 400 miles home then suddenly the engine would cut in and out while driving, shaking the car badly, then all appeared normal again.

The next day I took the car for a run and the same happened except this time the car died and was recovered. The car would crank but I couldnt hear the fuel pump. Upon investigation the ENG CONT fuse was popped. I changed the fuse and it fired up, on a short drive the fuse popped again (took lots of spare fuses to get the car 2 miles home).

My question is what devices are on the ENG CONT circuit? I have been searching allover the net for the last few days and I cant find anything (in english) that even resembles a wiring diagram for an SR20 180. If anyone could point me in the right direction so I dont need to examine every wire I'd be much obliged.

My thoughts are:
    Bad earth? Short on o2 sensor?
    I noticed the connector block in the boot for the fuel pump was wet but I dont know that it was wet when this happened originally.

I also noticed that when I replaced the fuse the other relay box (near pass head light) started fizzing, I immediately pulled the fuse however I cant replicate this now.

Anyway, a wiring diagram or any and all advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Rides
    I forgot to mention that when hot the idle was crap. For example approaching a roundabout when you dip the clutch it would struggle and threaten to cut out. I'm not sure if this is related to the fuse problem but I though I'd mention it. Looks like I am going to spend the weekend with my multi meter regardless!

Cheers

Rides
    the eng cont is the engine control stuff, AAC valve etc.

it's been a while since I looked at the 180 manuals but I'd start looking at the wiring for the engine sensors, AAC, O2, CAS, that kind of thing. get a multimeter and a saturday afternoon.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    You can use the UK S13 wiring diagrams for that circuit as they are the same chassis side.

You say you heard a clicking under the bonnet, have you thought about replacing the ECCS relay? It could be that relay that was clicking as it is failing which would give your symptoms.
    Your fuse goes from the fusebox round the chassis under the slam panel to your brown F10 connector and then into the engine loom where it feeds the O2 sensor, and boost control solenoid so theres a possibility you have a damaged cable or component on that route. This circuit failing would not cause your shaking/cutting out but the ECCS relay failing would, might be worth changing to cover yourself.