Thread: Oil inside new turbo? Please help.

Rides

Oil inside new turbo? Please help.

So I took my freshly rebuilt turbo off to find oil on the exhaust side of the compressor. Sent it back to Midlands under warranty their saying oil is being forced back through the seal? All breathers are clear, oil drain clear and facing down and turbo clocked correctly. Why is this happening any help cheers.

Rides
    too much oil pressure maybe??
    have you a restrictor fitted?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    too much oil pressure maybe??
    have you a restrictor fitted?
    It's a standard t28 off a s14 do they need one?

Rides
    From memory if you’re using aftermarket oil lines then you need to fit a restrictor.
    Think it’s the S14 oem oil feed hard pipe banjo bolt that has a restrictor built in.

Rides
    Shouldn't need a restrictor with a journal bearing turbo. I'd double check the the oil drain is clear and everything is at the correct angle

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shikari chaos View Post
    From memory if you’re using aftermarket oil lines then you need to fit a restrictor.
    Think it’s the S14 oem oil feed hard pipe banjo bolt that has a restrictor built in.
    I have got after market braided lines yeah. Anyway to tell if it's got the restrictor already in?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Shouldn't need a restrictor with a journal bearing turbo. I'd double check the the oil drain is clear and everything is at the correct angle
    It's been rebuilt and uprated bearings put in in case that will make a difference?

Rides
    As Ben mentioned not all Journal bearing turbos need an oil restrictor. Oil feed pressure and turbo design vary so no strict yes or no.
    Make sure you have a clear drain hose with a smooth downward sweep back to the block/sump.
    Excessive crankcase pressure can also cause oil to push past the bearing seal.

If your turbo is healthy and setup is all ok but you’re still seeing oil leakage then you probably need a restrictor.
    You can get banjo bolts with them built in so you don’t need to buy a new hose.
    As a rule of thumb ball bearing turbos need a restrictor.
    It’s unlikely you have any but if you have any paper work for the turbo check the recommended feed pressure or oil restrictions

Rides
    What would be high oil pressure for a sr20det? I've got a oil pressure gauge reads just under 2bar on idle normally unless very hot

Rides
    Lots of factors effect oil pressure from temperature, sensor position, oil grade, rpm etc so hard to say but this thread should give you a rough guide:
    https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....re-information
    Under 2 bar doesn’t sound crazy high but as mentioned temperature dependent.