Thread: S14a - Active Sub suggestions

Rides

S14a - Active Sub suggestions

As you all probably aware, the standard ICE in a S14a is meek and lacks any punch in all areas. I have already upgraded the HU to a mid range Pioneer, which has bluetooth for phone, and uprated the speakers front and rear to 6.5" A series Pioneers which definitely is an improvement over standard in terms of clarify and volume, but whilst car is moving the bass is drowned out by car noise and exhaust. I know 6.5" is never going to shake the earth and provide the low down bass of a proper amp and subwoofer,

I want to keep it simple and don't want to go down the separate amp and sub route, which I have used on previous cars (I believe this has made me a little deaf). Just want to have a small removable option, but not sub enclosure rattling in the boot. I do not want to add sound deadening and any more weight than I have to so have thought about an in-cabin active sub like link below. Has anybody had experience with these products and can recommend a recent 8" to 10" option which can be placed in the footwell of the rear seat?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSW8ACT-9...e/181834084134

Don't really want to spend much more if this will provide sufficient bass to supplement my new set up.

Rides
    you can get ones that go under the front seats.
    I cant open ebay on this computer so sorry if that's what your link is too.

Rides
    Green_rs13.

Have the same problem with work pcs aswell. Not sure if you can see another underseat active sub I found below. Anyone has experience with Phoenix Gold or any other underseat active sub. Like the idea of this as its a simple solution which will hopefully provide more low end bass, just worried the 200sx is quite noisy which may render one of these useless?

Rides
    Ive got a sub and amp set up and find it needs to be turned up a fair bit to hear it over the exhaust and road noise. Turning it up too much makes my ears pop so I have set it lower to avoid that.

Rides
    on other cars ive seen people fit small subs in the voids in the rear quarters.

Rides
    sx rider- in my younger years my old sx had pair Kenwood 7 x 10 on rear shelf and one 10" Denon sub powered by Rockford Fosgate amp and the Top range Pioneer powered the component fronts. This was a good set up and definitely masked the road noise when I wanted it to and I felt the bass (and rattles).

Moving on, I'm getting old so I now just want clarity and defined punch not bass to wake the dead.

Green- Are there any threads which show how subs were mounted in the rear quarters? was the grille on show or was it hidden behind the plastic trim panel?

Rides
    you would just make an MDF panel and mount the sub to that then put the plastic trim panel back on.

tbh putting loft insulation type material in that space is a good way to block out road/tyre noise

Rides
    Heard the active sub in a showroom and it performed quite well with solid defined controlled bass* so have taken the plunge. Needed to get an amp wiring kit. Have fitted all cables apart from the live, ran out of light so will do tomorrow. Is best way still to route into the wing through bulkhead grommet?

Rides
    All done and happy with this addition, discreetly sits under the seat. Would recommend this for anyone who feels their current speaker set up is lacking bass. Obviously if you want major bass you will need to go with separate amp and woofer(s).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    All done and happy with this addition, discreetly sits under the seat. Would recommend this for anyone who feels their current speaker set up is lacking bass. Obviously if you want major bass you will need to go with separate amp and woofer(s).
    Thanks for the follow up bud. Sounds like a good solution. I am going to run my front speakers on an amp and see if i get better bass. If not i may consider one of these.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Thanks for the follow up bud. Sounds like a good solution. I am going to run my front speakers on an amp and see if i get better bass. If not i may consider one of these.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I had a tablet installed hooked up to a 1000w Kenwood AMP under my seat. Worked a treat! Going from a single-din to an external amp made my speakers massively better. THe previous owner had also already installed Vibe upgraded ones already.

Rides
    If i had my SX again i would definitally have a pi in there with a decent music player and some half decent dacs going to some amps.
    Too easy to do nowadays.

Rides
    I fitted up one of those Bose spare tire subs from a newer Nissan. Provides just enough kick that the music doesn't sound all flat. Downside is that it didn't fit in the standard S14 spare.

Rides
    Lost- is the bose an active woffer and what size sub is it? I can see you used some sound deadening below. Is there much rattling? I did look at in boot solutions but was worried about fit and rattles.

On the subject of ICE- anybody have recommendations on good value head units with sat nav for S14? I have been using my phone would prefer a built in neater solution. Anybody use android or appleplay type headunits. And do the double din units fit in the space without trimming the outer trim?

Rides
    im guessing most the jap cars come over with double din head units.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    Lost- is the bose an active woffer and what size sub is it? I can see you used some sound deadening below. Is there much rattling? I did look at in boot solutions but was worried about fit and rattles.
    It's active, but it takes a line side input. I just teed off the left rear speaker. I can get a picture of the wiring diagram if you need it. The sub technically has two small woofers in there.

Some of them are direct line driven from the stereo though (non-powered). So check the wiring of the donor car to confirm. 5 wires is powered (active), 2 or 4 wires is direct drive.

It doesn't rattle at all. I just had extra sound deadening from when I replaced some rusty floor pans that I put in the trunk. Those subs aren't earth shattering, but definitely add some depth that's missing from the factory 6.5" speakers.