Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handling Upgrades

Rides
    Knackered rear subframe bushes will make the car handle horribly. Should definitely be near the top of the list of things to replace.

Rides
    To be fair at 20+ years old there shouldn't be much original stuff that you'd contemplate keeping.

New bushes, balljoints, top mounts and budget in for a few bent arms as well.

Rides
    The rear multi-link suspension is still world class. Nissan have started fitting cheaper double wishbone rear suspension on new models. The 2 upper links control the geometry in a way that double wishbone can't. When Nissan developed the multi-link rear suspension on the Mid-4 project they went though a lot of different rear suspension setups and rejected double wishbone.

The only real change at the front is cars now use a lower wishbone instead of lower arm and tension rod. This has been dictated by front impact testing. A tension rod in front impact pushes and folds the wheel back and inwards so the wheel goes into the footwell quite early in the crash as the tension rod is in the crumple zone. The lower wishbone they fit now has the rear bush under the bulkhead, the crumple zone has to fold up before the wheel moves and it then the wheel moves back to hit the A post.

As has been said tyres and alignment, not just 4 wheel toe but rear camber is critical.

The difference between a 13 on Pirelli P6000 and Firestone Roadhawk is like night and day.
    P6000 can be powerslid at will.
    Roadhawk need a degree of determination.
    P6000 last 12K if you are lucky.
    Roadhawk last 20K miles.

If it's still not holding the road then it's bushes or somethings bent or you lowered it and didn't fit an adjustable arm kit so have excessive rear camber with upper arms at limit of adjustment.

Rides
    Firestone Roadhawk? People are using that?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Firestone Roadhawk? People are using that?
    Don't knock em until you have done 50K on them. I'm on my 3rd set for 2 cars. I can't say if its me or the car they suit but I'm more than happy with them.
    Did over 80K on P6000's, just wish I'd swapped before but Pirelli had a distribution warehouse in town.

I have just got some 2nd hand 5mm tread Toyo snow tyres £60. Got to get the spare 2 rib 7 spokes with P6000 off the donor.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Don't knock em until you have done 50K on them. I'm on my 3rd set for 2 cars. I can't say if its me or the car they suit but I'm more than happy with them.
    Did over 80K on P6000's, just wish I'd swapped before but Pirelli had a distribution warehouse in town.

I have just got some 2nd hand 5mm tread Toyo snow tyres £60. Got to get the spare 2 rib 7 spokes with P6000 off the donor.
    The car actually has firestone roadhawks all round from when i got it, its really grippy when warm, doesnt like going sideways unless its damp.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rides
    cheers for the replies everyone, got a good idea of what i want to do

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rides
    From readign through your posts i really think you shoudl start with sub frame bushes, even with coil overs and alignment arms knackered bushes will feel like the car is pivoting around the middle.

Id also remember that you need to re align the car after changes so if you fit arms and coil overs it will need to go back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...