Thread: Transmission Failure

Rides

Transmission Failure

I was out in the car last night; pulled off from lights quite hard as I let the clutch out between first and second she seemed to jump out of second like she hadn't gone in gear properly.

I pulled over to try and see what the problem was:

Clutch and gearbox feel normal but there is no transmission for example I can get the car into all gears with the engine running without using the clutch but nothing happens the revs do not drop and the car doesn't move.

When I put the car in fifth and release the clutch I can hear a rattling noise.

Me and the AA man looked under the car and couldn't see anything abnormal.
    As usual the AA where spot on helping me push the car the half a mile home which fortunately was mostly downhill because it is too low to tow.

Rides
    sounds like the input shaft or something of that nature has sheared. as being able to change gears without teh clutch would suggest no drive is getting into the box.

Rides
    When you put it in gear (in 5th for example), is the Speedo showing anything? if it is then its either propshaft/diff, if no speed is shown then its the gearbox/clutch at fault.
    (the speedo is driven from the final output from the gearbox to the prop shaft, so if you have a speed shown, the gearbox is ok.)
    Last edited by hooky; 23-10-2018 at 11:30.

Rides
    Thanks for your help.

When the car is stationary and in gear no speed is shown no matter what the revs are.

When the car was rolling down the hill last night the speedo was working.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    Thanks for your help.

When the car is stationary and in gear no speed is shown no matter what the revs are.

When the car was rolling down the hill last night the speedo was working.
    With any luck it might just be a complete clutch disc failure, but as suggested it does sounds like a catastrophic gearbox shaft failure.

Rides
    I snapped the counter shaft with a clutch kick, my guess is you have done the same.
    Get the box off, should be obvious what broke.

Rides
    Thanks again.
    I will be more pissed off if the clutch has failed, it was only changed in May (500 miles ago)
    The gearbox has been whining in second for the four years I have had her so a rebuild is about due.
    I have a few other bits and bobs that need doing so might aswell get them out the way during hibernation season so she is ready for spring.
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 23-10-2018 at 19:39.

Rides
    Got the box out; unfortunately its the output shaft that has failed so I now need a second hand box to try and make a decent one out of the two.
    With the box out I noticed the gearbox mount is weak and the rubber on the propshaft center bearing support is also weak.
    I would of thought that the above parts would have been a contributory factor to the failure.
    I now have a problem being that I van't find a gearbox and Nissan have said the rubber for the prop centre bearing support is £210 and on back order with no date.
    I have not had to do much for years and have just realised how difficult it is to source parts for our cars.

Rides
    ive a complete gearset you can have for £60 collected from tamworth.
    its has a worn 4th gear syncro,(4th gear is the most frontal gear so easy to swap out) I did start to strip it down to fix it but then accidently scraped the box I was going to cannibalise for parts so its now just been sat around.

so basically, take your gearset out of the casings
    strip off your 4th gear
    fit it to my gearset
    rebuild in your casings

you can still get a lot of parts for these cars brand new you just have to know where to shop.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    ive a complete gearset you can have for £60 collected from tamworth.
    its has a worn 4th gear syncro,(4th gear is the most frontal gear so easy to swap out) I did start to strip it down to fix it but then accidently scraped the box I was going to cannibalise for parts so its now just been sat around.

so basically, take your gearset out of the casings
    strip off your 4th gear
    fit it to my gearset
    rebuild in your casings

you can still get a lot of parts for these cars brand new you just have to know where to shop.
    Are you about today mate?

Rides
    I did the same to mine and I put it down to the paddle clutch and slop in the driveline like driveshafts I fitted a full face comp clutch white bunny kit and regressed and cleaned the driveshafts and put driveshaft spacers in

Rides
    I picked the Gear Set up from Gaz yesterday (Thanks again mate) before it goes back together I will replace anything that has excessive play on the transmission to stop this happening again in the near future.