Thread: NATS wiring

Rides

NATS wiring

Hello!

I've started the long job of building up my resto project s14 from a bare shell.

Looking at the wiring loom, there's a few wires spliced in that can't be OEM - they're joining the front behind the dash section, and the drivers side section together (And one has bare exposed solder, so not Nissan!)

I've done a bit of tracing back on the wires, we'll start with one that's been soldered onto a cable coming out of the big connector block at the front of the drivers side section - the wire it's spliced into goes to the open/close switch on the drivers door. The other way, the soldered in wire goes to a pin on the nats box.

Next wire goes all the way to the back of the car, to a plug which seems to be for the boot light (?!) That one also traces back the other way to the NATS box.

Anyone seen this before, or better yet, anyone got a standard NATS system wiring diagram so I can see what -should- be going on?

The 2 ones pictured are the ones I'm interested in for now!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    the weird box thing with an adjuster that goes under the dash on the transmission tunnel is something to do with the alarm. the dial adjusts the sensitivity.

I don't think you will find much on how to disable NATS as its basically how you steal one of these cars. im sure all the S14 owners would love for me to openly post on the internet how to get their car to run with no keys in about 3 minutes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    the weird box thing with an adjuster that goes under the dash on the transmission tunnel is something to do with the alarm. the dial adjusts the sensitivity.

I don't think you will find much on how to disable NATS as its basically how you steal one of these cars. im sure all the S14 owners would love for me to openly post on the internet how to get their car to run with no keys in about 3 minutes.
    Yeah it's the NATS box

Not after disabling it - after figuring the mess of wiring out! Haha. But yeah, I see a wiring diagram being hard to come by

Rides
    When I pulled mine out to replace it with a different alarm a lot of the wiring was the same

I’m sure I read somewhere these were only fitted in the uk and we’re fitted at the dealers not by Nissan themselves hence the Skechy/weird wiring but how true this is I don’t actially know

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    When I pulled mine out to replace it with a different alarm a lot of the wiring was the same

I’m sure I read somewhere these were only fitted in the uk and we’re fitted at the dealers not by Nissan themselves hence the Skechy/weird wiring but how true this is I don’t actially know
    That'd make more sense. It certainly does look like an after thought!

Rides
    Isn't the wiring is covered in the S14A workshop manual, section EL-53 on?
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 22-10-2018 at 14:26.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Isn't the wiring is covered in the S14A workshop manual, section EL-53 on?
    Just found a link - will check through thanks!

Rides
    I did a quick check and not sure it's right, the manual refers to a smart entrance control unit which doesn't seem to have the same pinout

Rides
    It’s absolutly nothing like the manual I spent an evening matching up the drwinings to the new alarm diagram and as soon as I started I threw it away as it wasn’t even close

I’m an electrical engineer by trade so I know it wasn’t just me reading it wrong

Rides
    What’s actually your problem as it should just plug into the unit and work ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    What’s actually your problem as it should just plug into the unit and work ?
    Yeah if I put the whole loom back, and fix that badly joined wire it'll work. But that wire is joining the dash and drivers looms together, which it shouldn't do? So I'm just after knowing where they -should- go

Rides
    If it helps it's a rebadged Cobra 6422 alarm system

Rides
    Might be for the front indicators, IIRC the wiring ties into the engine loom.