Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Neville Incarnate

Rides

Cool The Neville Incarnate

Roll up, roll up..... hurry and grab a seat before they've all gone....

Welcome, Ladies and Gentleman, to my project thread. This is going to be a long and arduous journey and along the way i'm certain there will be some spills and some thrills for your entertainment and amusement

I suppose i should start with a little background info...... I've had a soft spot for pickup truck's for maybe 16 years now and it all started one day when i picked up a copy of Cars and Car Conversions. Inside they used to run a feature where an artist penned some pic's of vehicles in a Chip Foose style and they always inspired me to see the potential in vehicles not just the actual.... anyway, in one particular issue they rendered some trucks and these really caught my imagination. One of these trucks was a Ford P100 which was lowered, bodydropped and styled like a Cosworth (long before it was actually done) and i've always had a hankering for a truck ever since.

Fast forward about 15 years and i began to really want a truck but one a little different from the norm. Having owned the 180 for a couple of years and really enjoying the RWD 2.0lt Turbo I started doing a few trackdays and driftdays, learning to drive properly. Not wanting to damage the 180 i began to think about another vehicle to replace it on trackdays and the like and this was where the plot was hatched!!

Being a member of the SXOC and loving the camaraderie and technical knowledge that comes with it I really didn't want to leave the fold for another make so, realising the SR20 was a great engine, it had to be Nissan. But what Nissan? A D21 of course! I love the styling with the flared arches and they're not too expensive either

Now i had to find a drivetrain to put in a D21. As we all know Aitch used to treasure a deluded S14 by the name of Neville, he thought he was a cow.....

Aitch had thought about selling Neville a few times over the years but could never actually do it as he was, well let's face, having an affair with him We had spoken about my idea at a few meets last year and Aitch mentioned that he had thought about selling again as Neville was looking a little tired but nothing came of it again. Then that fateful day occurred.... The end of Neville So Aitch and myself began to talk about a heart and soul transplant and a deal was struck..... Well, that's that then

My garage was full of SR20 and rear end

Bits of Neville are still for sale if you'd care to peruse.

It then became time to start the hunt for a truck which is easier said than done I got out bid on Ebay several times before ending up with, what happens to be, an ideal base vehicle. I hired a van and borrowed a trailer off Steve @ trackaction-online (organiser of some great track/driftdays) a 332mile round journey to Letchworth and a truck was mine

So without further ado

106.000 miles and Baby blue with a knackered clutch.

Nice colour Yeah

Now i realise that it's a 4WD but trust me that makes no difference as it's only the body and bed i'm interested in. I say this as i shall be running a full custom chassis that will be made for me by a kind chap by the name of Paul Hallett under his new business name Twisted Concepts (0780 9696553). He's a very talented fabricator that's been in the scene for a good few years and has built some proper race car spaceframe chassis's inc. a Huuuge monster truck I'm sure he'll be along soon to introduce himself properly.

The plan is to build a complete chassis from the ground up using Nevilles rear suspension instead of the live axle with D21 front and running short coilovers instead of torsion bar front/leaf rear.

The body will be dropped a couple of inches over the chassis and have some bigger rear flares from a Terrano 1 welded into the bed sides to accommodate the wider track of the S14. This will replace all of the dent you can see in the bed side so there's no worries there
    Actually the Terrano 1 was never sold in the UK and was a JDM/USDM only vehicle so to find this vehicle in a scrapyard was just pure luck. I happened upon Nissan 1st one day and happened to spot it in the background so made contact, after a visit and a few phone calls they agreed to chop the rear quarters out for me and i took delivery

The wider flare can clearly be seen here

I spent all day today stripping some stuff out and giving the thing some grief with the jetwash before i start in earnest but i'll save that for another post
    Last edited by Easy007; 03-03-2010 at 20:54.

Rides
    Sounds like a good project

You got a timescale in mind or is it one that will be done when its done?

Ben

Rides
    holy fcuk batman, what a project

Whats the overall style going to be?

Rides
    That's a good question!

I would like it to be done for the Weekender next year but i also want it done properly so if it runs over it runs over.

I do have a truck that has been inspiring me for a while now. A company in Japan called Garage Miniz built a truck a couple of years ago that i think looks ace but i'm not too impressed with they're chassis arrangement, i shall improve this bit and copy the rest as it's tried an tested in the 'bag and drag' scene

Last edited by Easy007; 14-10-2009 at 11:15.

Rides
    Ha you actually got one, that should shut mike up for a while give me a shout I'll come give you a hand with breaking stuff

Rides
    Nice project Would love to build a drifty pickup myself subscribing now

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I love these drifty/slammed pickups. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    What would you call that colour? Spack Chariot Blue?

Can't wait to see this develop

Rides
    That should be a cool project

Rides
    Awesome project!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Ha you actually got one, that should shut mike up for a while give me a shout I'll come give you a hand with breaking stuff
    He never did believe me did he I'll have to give you a shout when i need to take the cab and bed off

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    What would you call that colour? Spack Chariot Blue?
    It's a lovely shade isn't it Apparently it's the colour scheme of Nationwide crash repair centres...... Hhmm

I'm thinking white with white R33 GTR's

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy007 View Post
    He never did believe me did he I'll have to give you a shout when i need to take the cab and bed off

It's a lovely shade isn't it Apparently it's the colour scheme of Nationwide crash repair centres...... Hhmm

I'm thinking white with white R33 GTR's
    soudns hawt man, so the basic plan is to turn the truck into a drifter with an SR20?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I'm thinking bright red like the one above is perfect
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Basically yeah

I don't want it exclusively for drifting but with not much weight over the back end it should drift well I want it to be road legal but also good on track etc.... moon on a stick? Practical it will not be.

I do like the vivid red of Yoshiki's truck but i love white on white. I even have a black bonnet from the Terrano so could just make a copy of my 180 in truck format.

Rides
    Nice

Rides
    Yay. your truck comes from my home town

Looking forward to watching the progress.

Rides

Arrow Strip down

As i said earlier the first port of call with any new project is a damn good thrashing with the jetwash but first i had to get rid of the wood panelling in the bed

after a damn good high pressure wash to get rid of anything loose like paint or surface rust i was left with a bed floor covered in rust.

I have found a few holes around the edge of the bed floor and bed mounts so it looks like this will have to be replaced with some sheet steel. The middle section between the inner arches will have to be chopped out anyway to accommodate the rear suspension and due to the bodydrop i will loose some bed depth so may as well replace it all the way to the front.

N/S in front of arch

N/S rear of arch

O/S front

O/S rear

I also pulled all the bench seat and carpets from the cab to check the floor in there and it all seems to be in very good condition although i think i found half a fields worth of straw and dirt

N/S

O/S

Anyone know what the box of electronics is for?

EDIT: SupaSharpShOOta - Beautiful town you come from but what's with the 'longabout', as it was described to me, in the middle of town also is that really the first roundabout in the world?
    Last edited by Easy007; 06-02-2010 at 23:24.

Rides
    Mazing project. One of the things I have always wanted to do.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy007 View Post
    Anyone know what the box of electronics is for?
    If its got a part number on it i should be able to find out, or just post a pic of the label

Rides
    It's under the bench and i've put that back in for the time being... next time it's out i'll grab a pic.