Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S14a - How to Improve Headlights

Rides

S14a - How to Improve Headlights

My previous 200 s14a had HID 6k which was an improvement (in terms of light output but didn't like the colour-too blue) and lasted a while, but I have been looking through the many threads on this topic to see if headlight/bulb technology has moved on and if anybody has a way to improve the candles on the front of these cars. As there are no recent posts - what would you suggest - has anybody used CREE LED or anything else. Or anybody tried spotlights in their bumper to supplement the headlights. (My fog lights were removed to allow for I/C piping). If HID are still the best option please can anyone suggest a good source which is reliable, robust and doesn't need a 'cookie' type relay or has one already for s14a? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rides
    I have had a 6k kit in my car prob now for 10 years. Still working lovely. Yes they are a little blue and not as bright as some of the modern motors today.

As for the cookie kit, the HID kits are.qired differently nowadays and are literally a plug and play replacement for your standard bulbs, so can't see why you would need anything else.

I haven't tried them yet, but I would imagine the HID kits are decent now. However I do recall seeing someone do a side by side comparison and the HIDs were more powerful.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    CrazySX- you using a 55w H1 hid kit without an extra relays and it works all good- can you advise which make it is?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminsilvia1 View Post
    CrazySX- you using a 55w H1 hid kit without an extra relays and it works all good- can you advise which make it is?
    Yep that's the one. The cookie kit just gets rid of a blip when you flash your beams. The HIDs switch off and on. Never bothered me and never had a problem. But then my s14a is not my daily.

It's a kit I bought in a group buy years ago on here couldn't tell you the make. I have used kits on other cars that are good. Let me see if I can find one.

Rides
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113161872220

This car Mod shop kit is what I bought for the mr2 which is more of a daily and no problems so far in 3 years

Rides
    Don’t aux beam do any kits??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Lets be honest here, s14 and s14a lights suck massive baws.
    I noticed the projectors to be horrendous when i first got my s14a, after coming from a P10 eGT with nice big lenses that threw decent light these things couldnt light up a bus at 10 feet.

So for years i tinkered, first with uprated bulbs... several sets, none made masses of difference.. Then HIDs which when aligned right were a massive improvement.

But lets be honest again, even HID equipped projectors still aint as good as my e46s adaptive ones, and compared to my 5's movable LED set well... er lets just be kind and say they are shit.

I recon the s14a aint ever going to be great in light output, a good set of HIDs (or LEDs ... maybe) would be the min i would use now, the normal candles were so awful its hard to see how they could be legal.

Rides
    crazysx - thanks for link. They only do H7 so have looked elsewhere on fleabay- there are some fast start 55w H1 HID for reasonable money but not sure which ones are reliable and won't fail within 6 months.

Matt- I've looked at auxbeam and they do LED lights only- can't get on their site tonight but from what I saw on my phone the other day they are mainly for fog lights on trucks and SUV - will these be good enough as headlights? Anybody using aftermarket LED bulbs?

Sideways - Totally agree with you on the shite headlights these cars have. I've seen diamondsink's link for s2000 projector conversion- but seems too much hassle.

For now it seems HID is still the way to go to drive safely in the dark. Anybody can suggest a reputable brand or seller?

Rides
    17/5000
    I put these led;
    http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/al...4iej.jpg.html][/URL]

here is the comparison ....... right xenon, left led;

I can only tell you, that I put back HID 6000K

Rides
    I bought some e46 xenons to destroy and fit into my 14a when I took them to peices the 14a light are nothing like any pictures I saw on the internet and it too hours of modification to get them to fit and to be honest there still shit
    I think it’s the glass in front that causes most of the issues the Americans can get plain glass lenses but I can’t find them over here

Rides
    Acp- so the led no match for the hid? Do you have photo showing the throw of the beams? What make we're they? Did the led need external relays or built in?

Rides
    Acp- so the led no match for the hid? Do you have photo showing the throw of the beams? What make we're they? Did the led need external relays or built in?
    I think he does. I think it was his thread that I saw the comparison on lol

Rides
    Crazy- tried searching for his tread- could you provide link. What I meant was a pic from inside the car looking onto the road, i.e. throw of beam, as photo above it looks like the LED on left is brighter but he stated he went back to HID- why? LED don't need external relays so looks like simple swap out - but if the beam pattern is no good then will look for new HID.

Rides
    Crazy- tried searching for his tread- could you provide link. What I meant was a pic from inside the car looking onto the road, i.e. throw of beam, as photo above it looks like the LED on left is brighter but he stated he went back to HID- why? LED don't need external relays so looks like simple swap out - but if the beam pattern is no good then will look for new HID.
    I will try dig it out when I get home. It had LED and HID against a wall or garage door from inside the car. The throw and the density of the HID was alot better than the LED.

Have a search on YouTube or Google. Doesn't have to be an s14a

Rides
    found these on ebay- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172238684049

£25.85 for 5k H1 HID. It says for subaru but will this be compatible on s14a? If so will give these a try

Rides
    the brightest is the xenon, said the one on the right with respect to the direction of the march.
    I'm sorry but I only have those photos, but believe me when I say that the HID shines much more than the led .......... apart, it costs an egg to put the led into the hollow of the lighthouse
    Last edited by acp calsonic; 18-10-2018 at 14:56.

Rides
    Thanks for clarifying ACP. I have just ordered the ones in my link along with matching 501 side lights, hopefully get them soon and will post pics of before and after.

Rides

S14a - How to Improve Headlights

Adding relays is a good idea, giving you that direct battery connection with thick wire gauge that will feed more power.

H1 type are not bright. I suggest retrofitting or replacing the bulb base onto something that fit into that reflector hole maybe HB3 or H4 or any high beams bulbs as long as under 70 watts, over wattage can damage plastic parts.

I’m in the process retrofitting low wattage H4 fanless led so I can splice the high and low beam together to have more light output. Will see how it goes. BTW, only for s14a projector lights, even you stick a high beam bulbs in, still shine like a low beam. You see what I’m saying? LOL.
    Last edited by surewire; 20-10-2018 at 15:26.

Rides
    Installed the HID kit from link above and it is an improvement on the standard candles on these cars. I originally wanted 4300k but went with the 5000k as thats all they offered. It seems they have sent 6000k or more likely 8000k versions, as the light is very blue- which is not what I wanted.

I changed the sidelights to 5000k LED which are totally white with no hint of blue and are a very close match to the BMW LED light colour, so am happy with these.

It rained the other night and driving around the blue HID light was not good, bordering dangerous. See photos below. Couldn't get the individual lighting of side and main as used crappy iphone camera.

I have gone back to the fleabay seller and hope to get resolved asap.

BMW LED

HID Kit - should be 5000k but more like 6-8000k??

Rides
    Yeah those are far to blue.